d.s asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Which book should I read?

Which book is the sthe hortest and most simple to write a literary analysist

Parrot in the Oven, Victor Martinez

Bean Trees, Barbara Kingsolver

Annie John, Jamaica Kincaid

Black Boy, Richard Wright

Their Eyes Were Watching God, Zora Neale Hurston

Beloved, Toni Morrison

Snow Falling on Cedars, David Guterson

The Sound and the Fury, William Faulkner

Wide Sargasso Sea, Jean Rhys

Wise Blood, Flannery O’Connery

East of Eden, John Steinbeck

The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath  

Cannery Row, Steinbeck

The Jungle, Sinclair

The Woman Warrior, Maxine Kingston

Angela’s Ashes, Frank McCourt

A Lesson Before Dying, Ernest Gaines

Black Like Me, John Howard Griffin

A Thousand Splendid Suns, Khaled Hosseini

Song of Solomon, Toni Morrison

Native Son, Richard Wright

Barrio Boy, Ernesto Galarza

Uncle Tom’s Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe

Zoot Suit, Luis Valdez

The Kitchen God’s Wife, Amy Tan

My Antonia, Willa Cather

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou

The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man, James Weldon Johnson

Secret Life of Bees, Sue Monk Kidd

Ceremony, Leslie Marmon Silko

Peace like a River, Leif Engle

• Lo
    Favorite Answer

Read East of Eden - it isn't the shortest book, but it is the best book I ever had to read for school. I absolutely loved it, and I really wasn't expecting too. Plus, the essay shouldn't be hard to write because there is tons of allusions and symbolism that is pretty easy to pick up on

• Leanne

Some of these are from female perspectives, some may be a little "girly girl" for your liking but others should be okay. I've left both genre on and you can decide. Meryll of the Stone (Brian Caswell) Picnic at Hanging Rock (Joan Lindsay) Stranger with my face (Lois Duncan) Playing Beattie Bow (Ruth Parks) My Sister Sif (Ruth Parks) Hitch hikers guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams) Holes (Louis Sachar) Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit Eragorn trilogy Narnia The Golden Compass Interview with a Vampire (Anne Rice) Requiem for a Princess (Ruth M Arthur) Looking for Alibrandi (Melina Marchetta) Angels Gate (Gary Crew) Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants Pelican's Creek (Maureen Pople) The Diary of Anne Frank To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee) The Shiralee (Dárcy Niland) Into the Wild (John Krakauer) Chocolat (Joanne Harris) Harp in the South; Poor Man's Orange; Missus (Trilogy by Ruth Parks) Where the Heart is (Billie Letts) My Place (Sally Morgan) Little Women (Louisa May Alcott) Rebecca (Daphne De Maurier) The 3 Muskateers (Alexandre Dumas) Anything by the Bronte sisters or Jane Austen Whatever you do don’t run The December Boys (Robert Noonan)

Probably The Secret Life of Bees, but there's quite a few on you list I haven't read. Their Eyes were watching God would be easy to do an analysist on but only if you understood it all--there is symbolism, but then again there is in almost all of these books. I've also thought of reading the Jungle before...if that helps at all.

Great book

Source(s): avid reader

East of Eden, John Steinbeck

Their Eyes Were Watching God

Secret Life Of Bees is a pretty easy, and some-what short read. Not too hard to write a paper on.

• La

I would have to say John Steinbeck's "East of Eden", and if you get a chance ever to see the movie it is even better. This is a rarity as far as I am concerned.

Angela’s Ashes, Frank McCourt. Its a really excellent book.

I just finished reading "My Antonia" . It's a small book, interesting (for something you need to read) and easy to do a report on:) hope that helps!