Is it possible to convert from being a 'bad' muslim to a 'good' muslim and have all past sins forgiven?

Right, im 17 year old. My muslim father died when I was very young and so I now live with my mum (who was orignally Christian but converted) and my other siblings. We've never had religeon forced upon us but we've always said we were muslims and as some of my other siblings have grown older, they have... show more Right, im 17 year old. My muslim father died when I was very young and so I now live with my mum (who was orignally Christian but converted) and my other siblings. We've never had religeon forced upon us but we've always said we were muslims and as some of my other siblings have grown older, they have indeed become, well, a lot more in tune with islam.

I have to say, I have always believed in the fundamentals of islamic beliefs but I've been completey led astray by the whole hustle and bustle of a standard teenager living in the UK. I've done some very bad things such as drinking alcohol and experimenting with drugs. I have been very depressed and started thinking about death (Not in a bad or suicidal way). Because of this, I started reading about Islam and well, found out a lot more about my religeon and agree with all its teachings. Doing this opened my eyes to what life is really about and how i should live. I just wish i had felt like this before all the stupid stuff I'd done.

I was reading some where that apparently when people from other religeons convert to Islam they have all their past sins forgiven. I am wondering if it is possible well, for a bad muslim to convert to being a good muslim .. if that makes any sense. I have made a lot of errors and mistakes and wish i could just start a fresh with a new clean slate. I don't know how to pray but inshallah i will learn.

I have (thanks be to Allah) not commited the major sin of zina but my word, it is very very hard growing up here were everything and everyone is 'at it'. I hope to Allah that I will not give into temptation. I would really appreciate some comments from perhaps some other muslim teenagers in advice on how to resist these. Thanks
Update: and please no posts telling me to convert ....