Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesOther - Car Makes · 1 decade ago

Landrover Freelander?

Hi. Im thinking of getting a Landrover Freelander 1 and was wondering what everyone thinks of them.....pros and cons

Thanks

Kevin

Favorite Answer

I've had mine for a few months now & I absolutely love it, for the most part.

For example, it is fantastic on road & as easy to drive as a normal fwd car.It is supremely capable in the current road conditions & given the right tyres & the right driver it is also surprisingly good off road too (far better than most other soft roaders). The dimensions of the car give it a large car feel but not too huge, it's easy to get in and out of & the seats are comfier than you'd expect once you sit down. At six foot three I can actually sit in the rear seats behind my driving position, comfortably.

That said, there are problems with the freelander one, mostly (but not exclusively) the petrol ones.

Neither the 1.8K nor the 2.5KV6 are very economical, the 1.8 returns on average 27mpg, the 2.5 returns 19mpg! Both the 1.8 & the 2.5 can suffer from the dreaded head gasket failure too (the 1.8 is the main one for this!) The hgf is quite an easy fix apparantly though, if you choose one of the petrols ask if it has been done & ,if it has, ask if the owner used the improved multi layer gasket as a replacement.. The diesels are usually pretty bullet proof, especially the L series but that was phased out in 2000/2001. The TD4 is the best refined of the diesels but is also the most complicated to fix when it goes wrong.

Other common problems:

The seals around the boot door can be useless & let water into the tool box it the boot (open it up and have a look!) They are a relatively easy, but expensive, fix. The electric windows are also a bit of aa bugbear too, especially the boot door. The rear window freezing to the seal is a common problem, especially in winter! (The rear window needs to drop a couple of cm before you can open the door! The three Amigo's is a common problem too TC ABS & HDC warning lights showing indicates (usually) a problem with the ABS sensors or reluctor rings or simply a damaged wire to the HDC switch on the gear stick. Viscous couplings can sieze and when they do need to be rectified as soon as possible before they cause severe damage to the rest of the transmission.

I've probably scared you quite a bit now but most of the reliability issues are minor or, at least, an easy(ish) fix for a modestly skilled home mechanic. Even the head gasket failure on the petrols isn't the end of the world and can be repaired in a couple of hours (provided the head doesn't need skimmed). Basically go for the best one you can afford, newer generally means less problems & a more reliable motor. Service history is a must & look under the car, if a prop has been removed, walk away. Anyway I've left you a link to the forum I use, all the people on there are great & there most if not all will be willing to help you out with any questions you may have & advice you may need. Even if you don't register look through the threads, all the info you need is in there!

John21350 Land Rover only makes 4wd cars so I'm pretty certain that the Freelander IS 4wd!!!

The best model to go for is the L series Diesel. I'll tell you why. The 1.8 petrol engines are dreadful if poorly maintained. The headgasket material on most models is just too fragile, and the rubber joints lose their bonding. The 2.5 V6 models suffer from exactly the same problem, but cost nearly 3 times as much to sort out. Look at £550 to sort the 1.8, and approximately £1300 for the V6 petrol.

The BMW sourced Td4 is also a weak engine, suffering from high pressure fuel pump failure, injector failure at £600 a set, and the turbo is too low on the engine. Failures occur when you go through semi-deep water, and it super-cools the turbo when it is red hot, cracking the casing, or tuining the alignment of the turbine, causing catching or seal failure.

The L series diesel is Montego/Sherpa derived, as also fitted to the Rover 200/400 of similar years. Designed by Perkins, it is a robust and torquey unit, as long as you keep the coolant regularly changed every year, and the timing belt and oil change intervals adhered to, you have a reliable engine.

The drawbacks with the Freelander are these. The IRD (intermediate reduction drive) Transfers drive to the rear axle through 90 degrees, to the rear propshaft, and into the rear differential unit. The Rear diffs are prone to oil leaks and mounting failures(£350 reconditioned exchange), the rear propshaft viscous coupling also fails regularly at £600 a time + fitting, The rear tyres wear incredibly quickly if either of these are faulty, recogniseable by a "castellated" inner tread face, and trademark rumbling noises from the rear of the vehicle. The IRD suffers also if the prop or diff fails, and these are expensive to replace, and hard to find second hand. As hard as it is to say, you would be better off with a Vitara diesel (Peugeot XUD sourced) or a Rav4, or indeed a Honda CR-V.

Source(s): Engine reconditioner, Land Rover nut, (currently got 3, 1961, 1970, and 1991)

if its a

Land Rover Freelander 2 then its pretty good , if its the original then dont bother its dire and will break all the time.

have a 1999 , 1.8 petrol . have it 6 years . the only problem I had was water pump . if you are buying this as a jeep .I WOULD FORGET IT . AS ITS NOT 4 WHEEL DRIVE .. ,electronic wheel traction ,and hill descent 'but its only a toy when it comes to off road or pulling a heavy trailer , first snow this year in IRELAND SINCE I GOT IT ,, HAVE NEW TYRES AND I WOULD NOT BE COMFORTABLE DRIVING IT LIKE THIS IT HAS NO GOOD TRACTION IN LIGHT SNOW

google land rover repairs free-lander , ,you wont buy after reading the forum , seems I have been very lucky with mine probably because it is only used for short spins ,school runs etc

Get one if you want to look like an old aged gayboy.Their really **** as well!

dont they are rubbish...rubbish engines..