Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Jesus went to hell , why?

Acts 2:27&31 kjv

27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption

31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

I have asked this question before , if Jesus was God or committed no sin why did he go to hell ?

Many of the answers I received was Jesus went to hell to minster to those in hell .

If that is so what is the point of preaching to those in hell if they are in hell for eternity ?

What can the teaching of Jesus do for them ?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Rick G
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I have to agree with my Smiling Brother.

Death is the extinction of life. At death all living things stop existing. As the Psalm says:

(Psalm 146:4) 4 His spirit goes out, he goes back to his ground; In that day his thoughts do perish.

So, there is no one to "preach to" in hell, since they can't think or reason on any thing. And since Jesus was dead, he couldn't teach, since HE can't reason or think either.

The ones that teach this "teaching in hell" use the following scripture:

(1 Peter 3:18-20) 18 Why, even Christ died once for all time concerning sins, a righteous [person] for unrighteous ones, that he might lead YOU to God, he being put to death in the flesh, but being made alive in the spirit. 19 In this [state] also he went his way and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 who had once been disobedient when the patience of God was waiting in Noah’s days, while the ark was being constructed, in which a few people, that is, eight souls, were carried safely through the water.

These "spirits in prison" are not the dead, but the demons who joined in the rebellion before the flood. And Paul says Jesus did this "preaching" after he was resurrected back to life in the spirit realm. Did he preach that to the demons in expectation of them repenting? No, but by his resurrection from a faithful course, his "message" to them was that he would be the one to bring their final judgment.

The account in Luke with the man that had "Legion" of demons controlling him shows that they knew the judgment coming.

(Luke 8:27-31) 27 But as he got out onto land a certain man from the city who had demons met him. And for a considerable time he had not worn clothing, and he was staying, not at home, but among the tombs. 28 At the sight of Jesus he cried aloud and fell down before him, and with a loud voice he said: “What have I to do with you, Jesus Son of the Most High God? I beg you, do not torment me.” 29 (For he had been ordering the unclean spirit to come out of the man. For over a long time it had held him fast, and he was repeatedly bound with chains and fetters under guard, but he would burst the bonds and be driven by the demon into the lonely places.) 30 Jesus asked him: “What is your name?” He said: “Legion,” because many demons had entered into him. 31 And they kept entreating him not to order them to go away into the abyss.

If only they could have corrupted him, they might hold off on their destruction. But after his resurrection, that judgment moved steadily forward.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well Jesus went to "hell" when he died for mankinds sins. But was this "hell" an actual place of fiery torment? Well the bible helps us to appreciate that "Hell" is not a literal place of fiery torment but rather a symbolic term used to represent the common grave. For example Acts 2: 31 in the NIV version says this :"Seeing what was ahead, he spoke of the resurrection of the Christ,[f] that he was not abandoned to the grave, nor did his body see decay."

However the same scripture from the King James version says this :"He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption."

So here we can see that hell here is refferring to the grave.

Not to mention that there cant be an actual fiery hell according to (Ecclesiastes 9:5) For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten.

So how could someone be tortured in a fiery hell if the dead don't think, feel, or do anything?

Especially if God IS love as 1 John 4:8 states, wouldn't sending people to hell contradict his loving kindness?

Source(s): The Bible
  • 1 decade ago

The Hebrew word for hell from Psalms 16 is actually Sheol, meaning "The grave" Jesus did not went to hell as in the place where the wicked are torment but that he went to he grave after dying on the cross. And when David said that he saw the resurrection of Jesus from the grave.

• 1 decade ago

The Bible says He did two things - He announced His victory over Satan and took the keys to hell - but the Greek word is Hades, not hell, which included the realm of those in torment and the realm of those awaiting redemption (see Luke 16:19-31 for the state of Hades before the redemption of Jesus).

Jesus took the keys of Hades from Satan ( see Revelation 1:18); and when He ascended out of Hades He took all those who were awaiting redemption with Him into heaven.

"Therefore He says:

“ When He ascended on high,

He led captivity captive,

And gave gifts to men.”

(Now this, “He ascended”—what does it mean but that He also first descended into the lower parts of the earth? He who descended is also the One who ascended far above all the heavens, that He might fill all things.)"

Ephesians 4:8-10

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Because hell is the common grave of mankind. It is not either a physical or a spiritual realm.

The dead are not conscious in hell (Ecclesiastes 9:5) "The dead are conscious of nothing."

From when Jesus Christ died until he was resurrected he knew nothing of the time he was dead. His life ceased completely.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

when jesus died on the cross, he took every sin ever committed by anyone ever - and paid the price for it. by this token, he was full of sin. hence the reason he felt (and it is possible) god turned on him while he was dying on the cross. jesus even said, "father, why have you forsaken me?" he was riddled with everyone's sin. god abhors sin.

jesus went to hell, because he had our sin. the path of sin is hell.

before the death of jesus, there was no hell. there was no punishment, because there was no salvation. one can not be punished, if one has not yet been given the gift to be free of sin.

one must also remember, the devil doesn't live in hell. hell is for human suffering. the devil will be thrown into the lake of fire after he spends some time imprisoned and after he has had his chance to fully ravage the planet of all things good.

@ the apostile - Jesus was the sacrifice for you and me. He is God, because he is OF God. God made the rules very clear and it applied to everyone. The intention was never to leave Jesus in Hell, but for him to be there long enough for our sins to be removed from him. Through his death, we receive life. Sin can not be removed from us, until the sacrifice was made. We could never have the hope of eternal salvation, until Jesus was able to conquer death (hell).

@ apostile - where is what in the Bible. I said a lot...lol

Hell not being there until Jesus came? It's common sense. Even in the Revelation, it states that those that never had a chance to know of Jesus (know of the gift of salvation) will not automatically go to Hell. They will be given the messages of Jesus, and then make a choice. Depending on that choice, their judgment will be made.

If Jesus paid the price for our sins, how could he not have gone to Hell? Did not God make it so that anyone with sin (unforgiven) will go to Hell for it? Why is Jesus immune to this? Was he not flesh that walked this Earth? Why would a sacrifice be free? Why would God have turned his back on Jesus when he saw the sin within him?

Really, it's all very simple to understand.

No, our sins are removed. When you accept Jesus Christ, and believe that he is the Messiah come to save us, and you repent of every sin you committed with sincerity and make the strides to change your life - your sin is wiped clean. You have been washed in the Blood of the Lamb. Your sin that has been forgiven has been struck from the Lamb's Book of Life as if it never occured.

No one with sin can enter into Heaven.

Final edit:

Look, we can sit here and disagree about aspects that do not matter in the long run of Salvation. I see it in one way, you see it in another. That has a lot to do with different schools of religious teaching and thought.

In the end, we all have stated the same thing - the only thing that matters for Salvation. Jesus died so that we could live.

• 1 decade ago

Christ went to hell as the punishment for all of our sins... death. Yet, He overcame death and rose again, to give us all life with Him. He had to make the ultimate sacrifice and take our punishment so we wouldn't have to.

ETA: Apostle, that's the thing... it was supposed to be eternal. But Christ overcame that and won the battle over death. That's why the resurrection... that was the winning.

"The battle is over, the victory is won"

Hebrews 2:14-15 Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery.

1 Cor 15:54-57 "Death is swallowed up in victory." "O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?"

The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law.

But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Mark 10:45 For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.

Source(s): LCMS Lutheran
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The concept of hell is the land of the dead originally. Hell was a borrowed concept from pagans.

• 1 decade ago

pay for his sins

• 1 decade ago

The Apostle is exactly correct.

This was prophesied in the Psalms:

Psalm 68:18

Thou hast ascended on high, thou hast led captivity captive: thou hast received gifts for men; yea, for the rebellious also, that the LORD God might dwell among them.

Which in turn, was quoted by Paul:

Ephesians 4:8

Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

Jesus went down there to rescue the Old Testament Saints.

This would include Abraham and Lazarus which Jesus told us about in Luke 16:19-31

19There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:

20And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,

21And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

22And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

23And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

24And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

25But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

26And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

27Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:

28For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

29Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.

30And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.

31And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Source(s): 43+ years following a Jewish Carpenter & studying His Book!
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.