Bebe
Bebe asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

What do you think of the Confederate Flag?

My history class had a discussion on this topic and it was quite a heated discussion at that. I'm just curious what others think. Please keep in mind that skin color does not have to dictate an opinion when answering this...meaning that not all minorities are offended by it and not all Caucasians are proud of it. Opinions?

Favorite Answer

The Confederate Flag is not a symbol of hate in and of it self, although it CAN be used as one...just like any other symbol. Most people who support it or who wear it do not intend it to be a hate icon but rather a pride icon. Similar to wearing a German flag, Irish flag, Canadian flag, or a Brazilian flag. Most people who are for it are proud to be a southerner or proud to have had a ancestor who fought under that flag. It is a symbol of historical significance and is no more a symbol of hate toward blacks than the American flag is toward English. The British flew their flag in the Revolutionary war but we don't take that as a sign of hate towards the US. Only people who are ignorant of its history or have had a bad experience with one of its negative supporters are offended by it.

It is according to how it is used and the person's intent. Too bad the southern states did not pass laws forbidding its use by political organization or groups like the KuKluxKlan. Many men who did not own slaves, never owned slaves fought under the banner to protect their homes. I think it is okay for a person to put the Confederate flag on the grave of a Confederate veteran. However, today those that display it usually have racist attitudes. The 1860 census shows only about 10% of Southerners were slave owners. So there were defintely other issues for many men to fight under the Confederate flag.

Also there were many people on the side of the Union who were involved in slave trading. It was financed by New York and Boston bankers. We had a man that moved into our community about 40 years ago who was very smug about the southern history of slavery and could be quite obnoxious. He and others have found out in the past 10-15 years that his Mayflower ancestors of whom he was so proud were involved in the slave trade. O'Reilly had James Roosevelt on his program several years back who acknowledged what people in the South have always known that FDR's grandfather was a slave trader.

So both North and South were involved in the evil of slavery.

Edit: I might add that the Cabots & Faneuils of Boston were involved in the slave trade. Political groups in Boston that use the beautiful Faneuil Hall for political rallies are using a hall that was built by money from the slave trade.

The issue is simpler than you realize. The purpose of a flag, any flag is to communicate. They communicate through symbology. This flag symbolizes the confederacy itself and then whatever the observer of the flag thinks about the confederacy. People who fly confeddy flags as a symbol of loyalty to the confederacy are intimating advocation of ideals like seccesion and slavery. I like the flag personally and like much of what it represents but you must take the good with the bad so I admire it at a distance and would never posses of fly one.

The whole flag issue has been hijacked by extremists form both sides.

Black extremists want the flag to be treated like the Germany treat the Nazi Swastika. They want it to become a symbol of hatred, and they want people it purely as a symbol of injustice and discrimination. They want to erase all non hate related references to the flag from history. Which is just plain wrong as they have no right to take ownership of somebody else's symbol or to dictate how other people see it. They also have no right to try to whitewash (apologies for the use of this word, but it's the right one in this situation) its history and to turn it into something that it isn't by covering up what it is.

On the other side, white extremists want to use the flag as a rallying point, a symbol of defiance. Something that's theirs and nobody else's. Which is also wrong as they too are trying to take ownership of somebody else's symbol and to make it what they want it to be.

In truth, the flag is much older than white supremacy and black extremism, and it wasn't created by either movement.They just marched in and took it over.

The fact of the matter is that the flag is a genuine piece of American history that has been abused by both groups, but which belongs to neither. It should be left alone to be what it is, a symbol of southern independence from the north, and the southern spirit. Yes, some of this included slavery, but not all of it. There were many other differences between north and south other than slavery. The fact that the southern forces supported a confederacy is probably the most important. Many people in the south still do not like the fact that a single rule is being directly imposed on all of America, even though things are very different in the south from the north, and from one coast to the other.

Bush, Obama, and every president before them from Lincoln onwards is a reminder of this, and the flag is just about the only thing that they have left, and there are all of these people (both black and white) trying to take it over or trying to take it away from them. And they should all butt out and leave well alone.

The flag argument is like telling all Italian Americans that they must give up their Italian heritage because Italy sides with the Germans durign WWII.

When I see one I tend to wonder what does it mean to the person that's flying it. I am originally from the east coast and in virginia it meant the south shall rise again. rally round the flag boys. It gives me the chills when I think what it has represented over the years.

I think it's a symbol of hate. But I don't let it dictate how I feel about a person. I try to judge people by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin. My friend had one in his bed room for most of our child hood and their wasn't an ounce of hate in his body.

it is the only true flag of the United states of america

the current flag is Just the flag of the British east indies company with the Union jack canton being replaced with the Stars

• NotShy

It's now primarily a symbol of nostalgia for white supremacy.