Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Christian Parents: Would you let your child watch The Exorcist?

My parents won't let me watch it.

They say it is demonic. They also said they were stupid when they were young and saw it and regret it because they saw things that they will never forget.

But I have no desire to watch it anyways.

I am just wondering, would you let your children watch that movie?

Oh and btw im 13.

Favorite Answer

Nope never.

God tells us to protect them from evil. Whether it is in a movie depicting evil or a book.

Any Christian that would do so would be sinning.

The devil loves opportunities to get in and bring fear on people.

Paul in Galatians 5:19-21 ascribes witchcraft as a deed of the flesh. “Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy, drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.” It is interesting to note that Paul’s warning is to the churches of Galatia whose members are already Christians. They are warned that by engaging in sinful conduct they would not inherit the kingdom of God. The warning is to those who have accepted Christ. The modern day Christian who is entertained or allows his or her children to be entertained and/or participate in the works of the flesh, which includes witchcraft, should give serious heed to this warning.

White magic and black magic are not acceptable in Christianity and there is no such thing as “cheap grace”. Christ died on the cross to forgive us for our sins, yet there is no excuse to take sin lightly. Engaging in any sin including sorcery opens one to demonic oppression and with persistent sinful conduct possession.

One cannot rationalize that one is not engaged in witchcraft but merely being entertained by books or movies whose characters participate in witchcraft, even though the protagonists are “good” witches.

The protagonist Harry Potter in the best selling Harry Potter series of books and current movie attends Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to become a wizard. Harry and his friends are taking classes in casting spells, magical drafts and potions, transfiguration, history of magic, magical theory etc… They are learning to become “good” wizards and witches. Evil is represented by the “Dark Side,” reminiscent of the “Dark Side” of the Force in “Star Wars,” and embodied (or disembodied and seeking to re-embody) in Voldemort, the evil wizard who killed Harry’s parents.

Harry is characterized as an average boy who has been oppressed by his very normal aunt and uncle and his cousin, reminiscent of Cinderella’s oppression at home. The very normal family members are exaggeratedly oppressive.

From a Christian paradigm the problem with Harry is that salvation from his predicament comes from leaving home learning witchcraft, a condemned practice. Children interact with ghosts such as the Friar and Professor Binns, a ghost who teaches the History of Magic. Professor Binns was a very old professor who had fallen asleep by a staff room fire and went to teach the next morning, leaving his body behind.

Christianity teaches that witchcraft, even charming, candy coated witchcraft, is evil and that redemption only comes through Jesus Christ and certainly not from the occult. Communication with the dead is actually communication with demons or “fallen angels.” Casting spells is prohibited.

In Christianity, salvation does not come through witchcraft but by accepting the Son of God. Good is what is of God and comes from worshiping Him. “Innocent” or “mechanical” witchcraft is still witchcraft and as such dark. Exposing one’s children to a heavy dose of the supernatural, even if portrayed through the activities of appealing characters, is not acceptable. The siren call of the occult in children’s movies and cartoons can be appealing. Poltergeists, ghosts, flying broomsticks, werewolves, vampires, witches, giants, bats, goblins, haunted hallways may be captivating but they can instill a spirit of fear. They can certainly be “dark and heavy” and exposure to the occult can be addictive. This writer is a case in point having been involved in séances, palmistry, astrology and eastern meditation prior to accepting Jesus Christ. Interest in the occult started with late night “Chiller” movies and supernatural comic books.

Aside from a dark supernatural dimension there is the good supernatural dimension represented by the Heavenly Kingdom (God, His cherubim and the angelic host). For the most part this good supernatural dimension is rarely portrayed in children’s cartoons or recent popular literature. How often do we see angels on Saturday morning cartoons? The elves in the “Lord of the Rings” are such angelic type beings who frighten Sauron’s Black Riders pursuing Frodo.

Parents have a responsibility to screen what their children watch. Studies have shown that children and adults who watch regular violence on the screen become desensitized to it. The same applies with intensive exposure to the occult. Jesus said, “Temptations to sin are sure to come; but woe to him by whom they come! It would be better for him if a millstone were hung round his neck and he were ca

Source(s): Bible.com CB
  • Hedy

First of all Twilight isnt a dark and scary movie filled with satanists, It promotes love and currage. The vampire is not performing a satanic ritual on a naked girl... Mabe as you see it , it is filth. But with an open mind people can see things more clearly like this... As the christian documents state that you should be controlled and not allowed to watch things that are blasphemous about God or the Son Of God, I dont think that this move has anything like this... This move is simply a money scam because vampires are now the trend of the world. So its basically up to the person and not their religion. And second of all, theres no hiding the truth, kids grow up, they figure things out, you cant stop things that happen naturally.

• Dante

No. It a 'scary' and violent movie. Children don't develop conceptual learning until about third or fourth grade. It is too easy for youngsters to get reality and make-believe mixed up in their thinking. It can cause bad dreams and improper imaginations. Any parent must closely monitor what kind of ideas and images their children encounter by talking with them every day.

After all, 'demons' are strongholds of ideas that cause people to think they 'know' something in such a way that it colors how they view life. They are not able to get free of those thought patterns. These are usually destructive thoughts that become the focus of their desires and imagination. Eventually people act out and think they are just being 'normal'. When in reality they have crossed the line into perversion and can't (generally don't want to) break away.

Source(s): Be careful little eyes what you see... Be careful little ears what you hear...
  • I watched that show, but I was in my twenties. It was a waste of time and the mind. I have three teens 13,14 and 16. I would not let them watch it. It's called being a good parent. Hope you are thankful you have one (or two).

As Christians this is why we don't want to watch those types of shows...

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

• Alexis

"They also said they were stupid when they were young and saw it and regret it because they saw things that they will never forget."

Sorry, but your parents sound like a couple of pansies.

I never found The Exorcist scary in the least. In fact, only two movies have caused me psychological distress in my adult life, and The Exorcist didn't even come *close*.

It isn't a bad movie by any means. I'd let my kids watch it. But it's nothing to get worked up over.

Hi, I'm a mom of 3. The oldest being 8. I guess I've never REALLY thought about that, but if my girl were your age, I don't think I'd let her see the Exorcist until she was 16...w/ us watching w/ her, but I don't think she's the kind of girl that would really want to see that movie. I could be totally in denial, but as a christian parent, we expect our kids will want to break away from us as a teenager to some degree and test out their wings and independence. So, if our daughter said she wanted to see that movie, I'd tell her she'd have to wait until she was maybe....16 and then she could make the decision if she really wanted to see it.

I would hope that if she does ever see it w/ friends in her teens, that she would come to us w/ all sorts of questions that we could answer and talk about. To chime in on what your parents said about the movie:

I think the people that made that movie opened up and invited evil things to roam about. Is the movie scarey? YES, but as a chrristian, you have nothing to fear from the Father of Lies(Lucifer, Devil) He will lie to people and tell them he can take your soul. Like he does in the movie. Once you are saved thru the blood of Jesus(when you believe in what Jesus did on the cross) You are ALWAYS His! Amazing gift huh... Are there evil things out in the world? You Bet! But w/ Jesus in your life, you can whether anything.

Tragedy, loss, hard times, sickness, fear, anger...etc, etc,

I saw the exorcist when I was a kid and my parents were christian..I understand the whole demonic thing but its a movie with actors..I watched knowing it was fake

No I would not let them until they were the appropriate age to understand whats taken place. I do not like to shelter my kids too much. They have good Christian values and hopefully enough faith to carry them through this kind of stuff. I watched it and have no problems with it, but I take it for what it is "fiction" not real. Just like Pagan gods are not real. I liken it to like the Jehovah's Witnesses tell me that I am celebrating a Pagan holiday on Christmas. How can I do such a thing, for one I don't believe there is such a thing as a Pagan god. A Pagan to me is a person whom worships nothing as there is nothing there for them to worship. So, in closing, I like to think that my children use good common sense and have good Christian values and this kind of stuff will just roll off their backs for what it is, Fiction. They know what demonic is and know that they only power that Satan has on them is the power that they give him.

No, I wouldn't. Not because it's demonic, just because it's too scary for a kid to watch. Heck, I won't watch it now and I'm 41! Your parents are just looking out for your best interests.

When I was about 6 or 7, my uncle and future aunt took me to the drive-in with them. It was a horror movie, and I had nightmares for months afterward. I wouldn't do that to my kids. (If I had any.)

It would depend on my kid. I don't know you, but I know me and at 13 I wouldn't have been able to watch it and it probably would have haunted me. Actually, I still haven't seen it. My daughter is three and I have always intended to regulate what she watches until she turns 13 and then let her watch whatever she wants because at that age you start to develop critical thinking skills enough that I think you should be able to regulate what you watch yourself. I hadn't thought about this movie until you mentioned it. I think many 13 year olds would be able to handle it (I say that even though I haven't watched the movie because many people I know did see it young) but my daughter is a bit sensitive and if she is still more sensitive than average at 13 I probably wouldn't let her watch it.

Yes, in the teen years.

There's nothing to be afraid of as long as you know the difference between fiction and non-fiction.

It's really cool sometimes the way Hollywood can make fiction look real, but if, as a parent, I thought that you were losing track of reality, I'd pull you from the boob tube for awhile until you recovered.

Hard work and day-to-day responsibilities usually does the trick.

(My parenting philosophy is pretty different. I believe in exposing my kid to as much as possible at a very early age, though not necessarily through movies. Experience is the best educator, and the parents have the best opportunities to provide it. My kids start their lessons before their first birthday.)