When do you die of Cirrhosis of the liver?

My father was diagnosed with cirrhosis a few years back from alchoal he was tested for all the other causes all negative. He is 56 and drank most of his life,a few years back his stomach was swollen and his entire body was from excess fluid the doctor gave him fluid pills and thats all and told him to stop... show more My father was diagnosed with cirrhosis a few years back from alchoal he was tested for all the other causes all negative. He is 56 and drank most of his life,a few years back his stomach was swollen and his entire body was from excess fluid the doctor gave him fluid pills and thats all and told him to stop drinking. he cuts back and continues to drink for about 2 more years now his body is normal but his stomach is swollen so much his naval has started to extrude. He went to the hospital because his seat belt had chaffed the naval and caused it to bleed, he was admitted for a week they drained the liquid and that after noon he was the same size. They just gave him more water pills and sent him home. He dosent hurt he finially stoped drinking although he has some wine occasionaly he has a good apetite, He dosent vomit or pass blood. I was wanting to know if any one has had experience or knowledge on this How much worse will it get, how long will he beable to live the doctors havent really told him anything. CCould he just up and die one day? is there any way he could recover?
17 answers 17