What is the difference between Chinese and Japanese food?

• O_o
    Best Answer

A lot. While there's many similarities between Chinese & Japanese culture and food (mainly because Japan was heavily influenced by China, Korea, and other countries), they differ a lot.

Pork, Duck, Chicken, and fish are the most common poultry in Chinese cuisine (and I don't mean Americanized Chinese food like "fried rice" or something), where as in Japanese, it's mainly seafood. Chinese don't really like to waste their food, so to be a bit blunt, they eat everything. The skin is eaten along with the meat, the bones are used to make broth, etc. Also, Chinese food tend to be a bit more greasier, where in contrast, Japanese food is much cleaner to the palette(sp?), and not as heavy. But it depends on the food you're eating. There's a lot of non-greasy foods in both Chinese & Japanese cuisine.

To me, it's hard to tell, between Chinese and Japanese cuisine, but my parents say that Japanese like to BBQ everything. As in grilling. i.e. - Yakitori, Okonomiyaki, and Teriyaka.

But Chinese does its fair bit of BBQ-ing as well. For example, Char siu. It's barbequed pork, and it's actually eaten in Japanese cuisine as well, such as Ramen. Though as far as my knowledge goes, Chinese cuisine usually prepared by stir-fried, roasted, steamed, or boiled. (Japanese have similar different ways of preparing their foods, that I honestly am not familiar with.)

Also, Japanese cuisine include raw foods such as shishimi. Chinese, on the other hand, do not usually eat foods that are raw. At least, that's how it is for me and from what I've read about so far.

This answer may not have been very helpful. Sorry. I'm Chinese and I grew up around Chinese cuisine so I do not know much about Japanese cuisine. :)

• Monica

There are lots and lots of differences. Keep in mind that China has at least 8 different cuisines so while the foods in northern coastal China have similarities such as the use of wasabi and lots of seafood, in the western part they use mostly lamb and eat noodles. Its hard to do a true comparison but I'll try. - Raw vs cooked - Traditionally Chinese distinguished themselves from other cultures by saying they had mastered fire, and thus had quite a taboo on raw food for most of Chinese history. Japanese clearly like raw foods. - Role of visual aesthetic - While both cultures care about color and appearance, Japanese will consider a dish good sometimes almost solely based on how visually pleasing it is. - Rice - Japanese rice is shorter grain and stickier. Northern Chinese rice is also short grain, but in general Chinese use longer less sticky grains. - Spice - China has some very spicy cuisines such as Sichuan and Hunan. There are few very spicy dishes in Japan. - Influences - China was a huge part of Silk Road and had lots of influences from other countries. There is still a lot of Muslim influence in many parts of Chinese cooking. Japan has incorporated more modern gourmet food from the West in recent history. - Tea - Japanese green tea tends to be steamed while Chinese green is often roasted in the production process so they have very different flavors sometimes. - Alcohol - Japanese sake tends to be less strong then Chinese rice wines. Chinese rice wines fill up the whole room with a strong odor and are as high as 90 proof.

Marshy's answer is really good! I'd like to add that Japanese food, as with foods of other countries, is really influenced by geography. As an island nation, Japanese food features a lot of fish and not much meat. Their staple food is rice, which is similar to China. Also their flavors are predominately based on soy--soy sauce and miso. The food is not spicy, as with some Chinese food. I think there is some Portuguese influence too because I was watching Japanese TV one day and they talked about how the Portugues brought frying as a cooking technique. So, tempura is sort of a fusion of Japanese and Portuguese cooking.

I'm Japanese.

Not very much, some people will say that many Japanese meals are more refined than Chinese.

Chinese food is oily and spicy.For example, fried rice, Gyoza.and so on are made by much oil,so some people like but some people don't like.On the other,Japanese is healthy, but sometimes there are salty foods. I recommend you Japanese food "Sushi"because, it taste is excellent!!

I have never seen a Chinese Hibachi restaurant, never thought of that til now.

Totally different.... Chinese people uses oil for everything- and their base is usually MSG! and cooks alot with pork and chicken.( Pork hash, manapua, fried rice, ect...) On the other hand, Japanese base is soy, and it's much healthier because they don't use alot of oil- they boil alot of their food! and they love fresh seafood like sushi, sashimi,etc..

Japanese food:

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/10/13/Megum...

Chinesefood:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_9AKKUmCBLIY/SSrbtciuRyI/...

• ?

Japan very fish based

Chinese more chicken / rice

Japanese food usually consists of disgusting seafood such as octopus, fish heads, guts.

Chinese food usually consists of disgusting animals such as dog and cat with bok choy.

no much all noodles and rice to me