File transfer corruption help?

Okay, so I was trying to reformat my external HDD because I noticed several files were corrupt. The greater majority of my files, however, were fine on the external.

So, I tried to copy what I had left on my external to my internal HDD. After that, most of the files, both on the external and the internal HDD, became corrupt or simply vanished.

It's too late to save or recover my data, but I just want to know what happened so I can avoid this problem in the future.

Could it be that my external HDD is dying? It is pretty old now (more than 4 years).

Favorite Answer

check the FTP file transfer mode -- binary mode is recommended for binary files -- and check for disk or system hardware errors, for available RMS and XQP ECOs, and check for any available ECOs for whichever IP package is in use on the system. Also ANALYZE/DISK_STRUCTURE. And if there are any defragmentation utilities active, turn them off and test without them.