what does the moon and sun mean to the huichol indians,,, please help !!!! i will answer yur questions :)?

ok so i am doing a yarn painting. I am suppose to be writing a research paper for it. I have found out everything i need to know, except what the sun and moon represent to the huichol indians. I have looked every where, encyclopedias, internet, and all kinds of stuff. So if you know the answer please answer :) i don't wanna fail.... please ....

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Sun is considered the father and the Earth is considered the mother. According to them, the Sun is coming close to the Earth to purify it. The Sun is known as Taupa.

Moon is supposed to become brighter than the sun when the world ends.

Source(s): Had to read the Huichol Literature to answer that question! Phew!
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

According to a Huichol myth, the Sun created earthly beings with his saliva, which appeared in the shape of red foam on the surface of the ocean's waves."[12] "New things are born from "hearts" or essences, which the Huichol see in the red sea foam that flowed from Our Father the Sun ... . The Sun itself has a "heart" that is its forerunner. It adopts the shape of a bird, the tau kúkai. The bird came out of the underworld and placed a cross on the ocean. Father Sun was born, climbed up the cross, ... in this way killing the world's darkness with his blows"[13].

Tatéi Wérika ... associated with the Sun and often depicted as a two-headed eagle

Source(s): The Huichol Center for Cultural Survival and Traditional Arts 801 2nd Ave., Suite 1400 Seattle WA 98105 Phone: 206-622-4067 Fax: 206-622-0646 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huichol
    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.