What's the difference between hair salon and barber?

Is it true that BARBER only refers to male hair cut shop?

And HAIR SALON / BEAUTY SALON styles your hair?

Is there a different name to call a normal hair cutting shop?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There really is a world of difference between a hair salon and a barber shop but sadly corruption has taken place and the edges have become blurred. A barber shoo was an entirely male preserve, whereas a hair salon was where the ladies went in private to beautify themselves behind net curtains.

No self respecting male would ever have dared venture in to the latter, not even to book an appointment for grannies shampoo and set, or wife's blue grey rinse" Then came the Rolling Stones and the Beetles which prompted UNISEX (that awful made up word). Many barbers went bankrupt during the period when nearly all men had long trendy hair - look at Bobby Ewing's fantastic locks on Dallas!

Now it is all change again and with wet shaving and men's grooming being the latest rage in America, barber shops for men are making a huge come back. Google, American franchises such as "Knockouts" or "Sports Clips" to get a taste of what is coming soon to UK. Try Tim The Barber Shop, Philadelphia, also. It is happening in UK but more slowly and real barber shops will be with us again. In America, they used the word barber shop for a family salon which is a nonsense - real barber shops are men only places except that female barbers are swarming like bees! The only problem here is that the cutting skills are not the same and to do wet shaving or scissor over comb (a gents technique and a hard one to learn!) requires proper and traditional barber training. Even this is becoming available at Colleges once again so having blurred the margins we are about to see a revival of barbering. Everything comes full circle in the end and that is what is happening here.

Source(s): websites and knowledge of America and UK
  • 3 years ago

Barber Shop Vs Salon

• 3 years ago

Barber Vs Salon

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There's not really much of a difference. Traditionally barbers deal with a very small variety of men's hair cuts as well as professional shaving (face). Salons on the other hand tend to cater to women, doing colours, updos, fancy styles, perms and aesthetic work (nails, minimal waxing, etc...).

However, a lot of these are crossing over and more women go to barbers because they have the same set of skills but are either cheaper or located closer and men are going to salons for colours, cuts and facial waxing.

In general, most hair cutting shops are just called salons or hair salons. 'Beauty' tends to imply that there's an aesthetician on hand for nails, waxing and the like.

Source(s): Personal experience
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

NOTHING! I use to go to a well known barber "Vince The Barber" and he did a great job but charged $30 for a standard haircut... It got pricey because I would go to the barber 3-4 times a month so I decided to try a small salon and the hairstylist did just as good for half the price! A lot of the barbers out in my area are based on social media hype. Now I wouldnt pay more than $18 for a haircut

• 4 years ago

There's a huge difference indeed. Barber shops are for those in a hurry wirhout appointment and hair salons are high end and better hair products. It isn't just for women either, I notice plenty of men entering salons. DonMy think gender norms, whichever barber shop or salon you enter regardless of your sex depends on your style and how much you can afford.

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What's the difference between hair salon and barber?

Is it true that BARBER only refers to male hair cut shop?

And HAIR SALON / BEAUTY SALON styles your hair?

Is there a different name to call a normal hair cutting shop?

Source(s): 39 difference hair salon barber: https://shortly.im/GogJi
  • Sylvia
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Barber shops are more for gentlemen or men. Salons are more for women and offer many services. Teens will usually go to a salon. Anyone can go to a barber shop though. In my opinion if your a girl a salon offers better care.

• 1 decade ago

Nothing, They both serve the same purpose.

BARBER does refer to mens that would be the only difference.

hair and beauty salons are the same they both cut and style hair.

Just a normal hair cutting shop can be called anything such as "Mirror Image" and "Floating on Clouds"

Anything really

• 1 decade ago

barbers only do men and boy haircuts

hair salon/beauty salon does everything from haircuts of both sexes to waxing, etc.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.