Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 10 years ago

what army reg. covers an NCO hanging out with a soldier E-4 an below as fraternization or says they cant?

im looking for something in the army regs. that says an nco is not suppose to be hanging out with a soldier like a friend not dating or anything like that i currently got promoted to e5 an my chain of command is saying i cant hang out with my friends of lower rank because im a NCO now i think this is B.S. an want to see where it says this in the regs i cant find it anywhere

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Best Answer

AR 600-20 is a good reference, however, DA Pam 600-35 gives specific examples. One is very similar to what your situation.

2-4. Noncommissioned officer—junior enlisted soldier

a. Situation. SGT Brown was promoted ahead of his unit contemporaries based on

his outstanding performance of duty and demonstrated leadership. Since he was

married and living off post, his promotion did not result in his moving into noncommissioned

officer billets. He was already filling a fire team leader position in

his squad so he was not moved to a new position. In fact, SGT Brown saw little

change in his status or responsibilities as a result of his promotion. He and his

wife continued to socialize with his unit friends who were still PFCs and SPCs.

SGT Brown and his wife frequently invited them to weekend parties at their home

so they could get away from the troop billets and have a good time. When CPT

Fox, the company commander, learned that SGT Brown was continuing to socialize

with his subordinates, he called SGT Brown in for a counseling session. He

warned SGT Brown such relationships could undermine unit discipline. CPT Fox

further stressed the need to avoid actual or perceived favoritism, partiality, preferential

treatment, and exploitation.

b. Explanation. There is nothing inherently wrong with social relationships among

enlisted soldiers of different rank. However, in this case, SGT Brown continued to

act as an equal in rank to some of the soldiers in the unit. The commander firmly

stressed to SGT Brown that his new rank carried with it different responsibilities

and authority. He was encouraged to view his relationships with his friends in light

of any actual or perceived advantage to them. If his familiarity with his friends is

perceived as favoritism, it could undermine his authority and even erode discipline

in his unit.

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

what army reg. covers an NCO hanging out with a soldier E-4 an below as fraternization or says they cant?

im looking for something in the army regs. that says an nco is not suppose to be hanging out with a soldier like a friend not dating or anything like that i currently got promoted to e5 an my chain of command is saying i cant hang out with my friends of lower rank because im a NCO now i think this...

Source(s): army reg covers nco hanging soldier 4 fraternization cant: https://tr.im/HRiAg
  • 3 years ago

Army Regulation Fraternization

• How about Art. 92 of the UCMJ. If your going to be an NCO young man, you need to UNDERSTAND 100% that when you tell someone to do something and they do not that KARMA will cause pain.

The issue at hand is no different that Art 134-23. When relationships between subordinates and NCO's, Officers occurs that may disrupt military discipline or give the appearance of favoritism then it is VERBOTEN!

You were told not to do it.......what is that? A request....no.....a suggestion.....no an order....bingo!

Have no fear kid, we have all been there...at least those of us that got stripes! You will be amazed at how your attitudes will change as you age and mature......just like the rest of us!

SSG US Army 73-82

It creates problems in civi life as well. No easier way to create hostile environment than to create the thoughts of favoritism.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

as stated above, the regs are clear.

But, you have to draw the line now. You have to maintain that now you ARE an NCO and if you have to call your friend out in uniform, that it is nothing personal, its professtional.

Keep your friends, but cut down on "hang out" time during work. And always keep in mind...

No one is more professtional than I.

• 10 years ago

theres regs then theres reality, everyone in the miiltary knows that. besides in the military its all how things are worded. if ur friends with your whole squad call going to a beer after work a "voluntary team building exercise." just gotta be careful with it, but as long as the lower enlisted you're friends with and hangout with have a head on their shoulders and arent newbs then you wont have an issue. they (and you) should be able to seperate personal and professional life. i dont know any e5 or e6 that wasnt friends or drinking buddies with atleast 1 or 2 lower enlisted. off duty they can joke aroundlike they always have, on duty they both knew that what the sergeant said goes and to act professional.

honestly i dont know why the military thinks it hurts unit effectiveness, if anything ive seen it help it. i've never seen a lower enlisted say "if i gotta do that detail then you cant use my 360 anymore after work," but i have seen the "well i know he doesnt wanna **** me over and i dont wanna get **** rained down on him so i might as well do this BS without griping" mindset from it.

• 10 years ago

There are 3 good answers..That is if you want to keep you strips.

Source(s): SFC...USA RET RESVES...ADA/Cav.
  • 10 years ago

It's all in here under AR 600-20

http://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/r600_20.pdf

Hell, I think we ALL do it anyway...

Source(s): EXP.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.