Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 decade ago

How to sight a new AR-15 rifle?

Just finished building my first AR-15. Any suggestions on how to site it?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Sam Z
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You built your own AR-15 and you don't know how to sight it in? That's odd.

Find yourself a safe place to shoot and use a solid rest, trying to sight in without a good rest is pointless.

Well first start by shooting at a standard size target that's only 25 yards away.

If the shot goes high, move the rear sight down a bit,

if it goes low move the rear sight up.

The opposite is true for side to side adjustments

If it goes left, move the rear sight left

If it goes right move the rear sight right.

Once you have it closely sighted in at 25 yards move your target out to 100 yards for final adjustments. Me personally, I would sight it in about an inch high at 100yards.

Source(s): Amature gunsmith / Avid hunter
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Hello!

Congratulations on the completion of your project!

First, I would go to a known distance range, and try to sight your rifle in when it is not too busy. There is absolutely no substitute for firing rounds when you sight-in ... even if you use a laser sighting device, you will have to confirm your zero with live fire!

First, keep in mind the capability of your sights ... since A1 sites are a thing of the past, I will presume you incorporated A2 sights on your project rifle! (Note: if you did use A1 sights, all of your elevation adjustments are done at the front sight, moving the front sight in the opposite direction of how you want the bullet to go.) With A2 sights, you want to move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet impact to move!

Your sights will have either 1/4 MOA or 1/8 MOA adjustment. If you are using 1/4 MOA sights at 100 yards, that means the sights will move the bullet impact 0.25" at 100 yards per click. If you are using 1/8 MOA sights at 100 yards, that means the sights will move the bullet impact 0.125" at 100 yards per click.

Next, start to zero your rifle at 25 yards ... fire a three shot group at your target, and center the group (with your adjustable sights) into the center of your target. This will put you on paper at 100 yards.

Please keep in mind, several things contribute to a good zero! If the trigger pull on your rifle is heavy, or the take-up and let-off is not smooth, your group size will always suffer. Try to get the take-up and let-off as smooth as you can get, and set the trigger pull at no less than 4.5 pounds (the minimum allowed in NRA and CMP competitions for a service rifle)!

Good luck and good shooting!

Source(s): Master Class competitive rifleman Expert Class competitive pistol shot Reloader of over 124,000 rounds Over 30 years of firearms and reloading experience NRA Endowment Life Member
  • 1 decade ago

I build match AR's.

By build - do meant assemble a lower and install someone else's upper? Because if you built the upper and have no clue how to sight this puppy in - I am worried. Did you at at least use a go/no gauge set to check the barrel tollerances?

How you sight in depends on if you have open sights with an A1 or an A2 upper - or you are sighting in a scope on a flat top??????

Please provide more info on what type of receiver you are using!!!

• 1 decade ago

I would sight yours in at 25-50 yards. To do so you can either buy a "laser cartridge" which is a small, casing-looking round that has a laser on it. You load this in the gun, like you were going to shoot it. Then you aim the laser on a target until it's in a recognizable spot(such as the middle of a target) then you look at the sight, whether it's iron sights or an optic. And move the sight until the crosshair, or iron sight is aligned with the place that the laser is.

Source(s): avid shooter. Own ar15s youtube.com/hcddwarhero
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I generally sight my rifles in at 50yrds which will put you on paper at 100yrds.

Anyhow, here is some more info on this subject,

http://ar15zeroing.com/

Source(s): Coming Soon, Free complete AR15 lower receiver. http://www.semiautorifles.com/forums/f9/semiautori...
  • 1 decade ago

If you have the military-style sights on them, simply find the targets used by the US military. They have idiot proof instructions on them as far as windage and elevation go.

Fire 3 rounds, all ways aiming for the center of your target. Find the center of the triangle created by those 3 rounds, and adjust your sites so that the center of that is on the center of the target, as per the instructions. Repeat until you are happy with the results.

• 1 decade ago

I would use the improved battle sight zero that's described on the first link Hangfire provides.

• 4 years ago

Because if the red-dot fails and you have the front and rear sights as a back-up. This is true if you mount your red dot to the carrying handle.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.