gs asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 decade ago

is a mid length AR-15 better than a carbine?

Im looking into buying one but i don't know the difference between the two

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The Mid length AR-15s mostly have 16 inch barrel just like most carbines. The main differences between the two are handguard/sight radius and gas system length.

The mid length AR' gas system thought to be more reliable than the shorter carbine gas system.

The increased sight radius should also help increase accuracy with open sights, while the longer handguards give you more options as far as hand placement goes.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Generally, a carbine is a short barreled rifle. Typically, a rifle with a barrel less than 20 inches long is considered a carbine. The term does not get applied to the AR-15 that much for some reason.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Typically when people mention Carbine their talking about a 16" barrel and the Mid length is slightly longer. Anyhow, it all depends on what you're looking to achieve with a rifle when it comes to decided on barrel length. A barrel longer than 16" tends to help stabilize the projectile out past 100yrds better than a 16" barrel.

Source(s): Coming Soon, Free complete AR15 lower receiver promotional give away. http://www.semiautorifles.com/forums/f9/semiautori...
    • mud m6 years agoReport

Wrong, mid length refers to the gas tube being 2 inches longer on a 16 inch barrel.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Depends what you need it for. If it's for fighting off tyrannical oppressors at longer distances, go for the long barrel. It will give you better accuracy at long range. Slightly harder to handle depending on what your requirements are.

For indoor uses, if you need this system, def go for the carbine, a shorter barrel is easier to maneuver.

I live in a crappy Kalifornia so our gun laws blow here. Consider that the ARs have swappable receivers, and are flexible.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php...

Check out the last post on that site. Make sure to check the laws on barrel length for legality and stuff, I'm not a lawyer yet so I can't give advice on that. You will get the flexibility of other calibers too.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I would say so.Longer the barrel the more accurate but if your looking for a tough carbine mid length gun i recommend the AK-47.There almost unbreakable,but there not accurate at 200 yards.So if you want something really accurate get the mid length AR

• 1 decade ago

the carbine is just a short rifle. the longer barrel usually means you'll get better accuracy.

Better is relative- if you plan on doing a lot of room clearing in afganistan, the shorter barrel is a benefit. If you are taking those longer suppressive shots at say, 150 yards, the longer barrel is better.

I like the M-4 carbine style better from a tacti-cool point of view.

• mud m6 years agoReport

The quality of the barrel is the key to accuracy, not the length of it. However with longer you get more velocity and the trajectory is flatter.

• 1 decade ago

All depends what you plan to do with the rifle.

Distance shooting +100 yards go with 20" barrels.

Close shooting <100 yards go with the 16" carbine.

I have an AK-47 iron sights for short range and AR-10 scoped with 24" bull barrel for longer range.

The more the rifling the better and I can tell you that at 300 yards shots are cutting the same hole.

• Jeff
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

if you intend to shoot distance with the rifle buy the longest barrel you can find.

20 inch works for me.. but I am a purist. If you buy a shorter barrel ... make sure the 16 inch is really a 16" and not and 11" with a long supressor-flash hider attached.

You just cannot replace "rifling" ...

• 1 decade ago

IMO anything is better than an AR.

It was a loser design that got picked because a bean counting business manager named McNamara wanted to standardize guns in Vietnam using a less expensive ammo.

If you want a good carbine, get a M1 Carbine.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.