Soliloquy asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

My older cat ran into the room to where Im keeping my new kitten, and she hissed and growled, what should I do?

Hi, I have a cat who is a 7 year old small female. She recently ran away and since she is an indoor cat we thought she'd never come back so we started to look at new cats. She came back 17 days later, but not before I fell in love with a little 5 month old female kitten. I was intending to keep the kitten away for at least two weeks from my older cat so they can get used to the smell of each other, but my older cat ran in the room to me, and when she saw the new kitten she hissed and growled, I tried to calm her down and show her that everything was okay, but she was not liking the kitten one bit and scared the poor thing. I'm kind of angry at myself for being so careless and letting my other cat in like that. Is this a bad sign of the future? Am I way over thinking the incident? (I remember that when we got my first cat, she hissed at one or two cats next to her at the shelter.) I am not going to give either away, but I don't want to have to change my house rules so that they're always separated and that people have to be careful. Could it possibly get better? Any details on the matter are much appreciated!

Favorite Answer

The same thing could have happened to me but I lucked out and my older cat was fine with it. But you do need to continue keeping them segregated and then gradually increase the time they're together. It also helps when you start re-introducing them to keep the kitten in a carrier, and then gradually start letting her out when you're there. You won't need to keep them apart in the long term, but your older kitty needs a bit more time to adjust. So it's not a bad sign -- I've never had problems getting cats to adapt to each other, usually in a condo. It's all about patience.

The one thing I wanted to mention is that with your older cat being gone so long, if she wasn't up to date on her vaccinations (or the kitten isn't) you might want to be sure of this. My cats are always indoor and I've stopped vaccinating (but it's impossible for them to get out). But you wouldn't want either of them to give something to the other one, so at a minimum I'd get them tested. Your vet can guide you on this.

• Bob N

Cats need to be properly introduced to the new home, the new humans, and the existing cats if they are to get along well and not have problems.

Here's how we introduce newcomers to our gang:

Cats need to be introduced very slowly.

First of all, we do not allow a new cat to have any contact with our other cats until a vet has given the new cat a clean bill of health. This includes tests for such things as FIP and Feline Leukemia.

Cats can be successfully introduced to each other regardless of their ages or sexes.

We have successfully added adult cats to our family containing both young and old cats as well as introducing very young kittens to the other cats.

It has to be done slowly. If you simply put them together, you will have behavioral problems the vast majority of times.

The new cat has to be given time to get used to you and the new environment - don't try to introduce the new cat to the new home, to you, and to the other cats all at once. Do it in stages.

Also, the existing cat has to get used to the smell of the new cat.

We introduce cats by keeping the new cat in the back room for up to a month. My office is there as is my wife's sewing table. There is a sofa and bookshelves.

We spend a lot of time with the new cat to get them used to us, the new environment and the new smells.

After they accept us with no problems, we put a screen door on the back room door frame and let everyone see each other for a week or so.

It may take a lot less time than a month to get to this point but we just take it slow and easy.

Once we judge it safe to do so, we let the new cats out into the house and chaperon the first encounters.

We've only ever had one problem introducing cats like this and that problem was resolved in a couple of weeks.

We've had 26 cats over the past 22 years and many of them were adults - 12 and older - when they joined our family.

We've also introduced several kittens, ranging from ages of 7 weeks to 4 or 5 months, to the rest of the crew with no problems.

You have to take it slow.

If you can't put up a screen door, perhaps two baby gates, stacked one on top of the other, will close off the door but still allow the cats to see each other.

If you can't use a screen door or baby gates, try letting the existing cat into the room with the new cat for a few minutes while you chaperon.

If things get bad, take the cat out of the room.

You just have to introduce cats slowly

There are cats who could be thrown together and become pals but they are few and far between.

I agree with whoever said she may never LIKE the kitten, but she will more then likely grow to tolerate her. Possibly even grow to LIKE or love her, depending on her temperment and experience with other cats. The hissing and growling is VERY normal, and may last a while but it will settle down, cats are territorial. Make sure to show extra affection and luvs to your older kitty so she knows she is still mommy's baby girl, even with the new kitten. :) Basically all cats will growl, hiss and etc for the first bit when first meeting. Been there! lol. Just don't leave them alone unsupervised until they are calmer, but slowly introduce. Keep the kittens room door shut for the first week and let your older girl get used to her scent, and gradually introduce. Good luck!! Most kitties are happier with a feline friend so this may be great!

Source(s): Long time kitty mommy;)

Your older cat is not used to the scent of your kitten. That is what made her react. You do need to keep them separate for a couple weeks while they get used to each others' odor. One good way is to keep one cat in one room and the other in another, complete with litter box, food and water. After a day or two swap cats. Keep this up for a couple weeks, and see if they get along then. There is bound to be more hissing, swatting, growling, angry stares, big tails, etc. even after they are accustomed to each other - but cats will be cats!

I have two kittens, and when I got my second one, my first one kept on hissing at him. Now they're best friends. I'm not saying that your cats are sure to become best friends, but over time, they'll get used to each other. It took about a week for my cats, so it shouldn't be much longer for yours. But my personal advice, and I'm not an expert on this subject, just a fellow cat owner, is to try to keep them in sight of each other but unable to attack. Maybe if you have a glass door or something you can keep one on each side, and see if they get used to each other? Again, that's just my personal advice, and I'm not an expert.

Hope that helps!

she may never grow to LIKE the kitten,but she will probably eventually tolerate its presents,shes been here alone most of her life,so shes just showing the kitten whos boss,dont worry,just keep doing what your doing.