Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Since All The Shelters In Jacksonville, Florida Are Christian Based...............?

What would the homeless do if everyone was Atheist? It is going to be 20-25 degrees out for the next 8 nights in a row. I see no non-religious shelters here, even the Salvation Army is Christian based. So if everyone was Atheists, would that mean we would have a bunch of dead homeless people who died of hypothermia?

EDIT: Rjinswan, you are mistaken. The SALVATION Army is a Christian organization:---The Salvation Army, is an international evangelical movement [1] that sees itself as part of the universal Christian Church. It was founded in 1865 in the United Kingdom by William and Catherine Booth as the East London Christian Mission and has a quasi-military structure.[2] It is well known for its evangelical, social and charitable work. The Salvation Army seeks to bring Christian salvation to the poor, destitute and hungry by meeting both their physical and spiritual needs, but its ministry extends to all, regardless of ages, gender, color or creed.[1]

The Salvation Army's stated objectives are:

The advancement of the Christian religion as promulgated in the religious doctrines—which are professed, believed and taught by the Army and, pursuant there to, the advancement of education, the relief of poverty, and other charitable objects beneficial to society or the community of mankind as a whole

Best Answer

To be fair, it should be pointed out that many non-Christians donate to Christian shelters, food pantries, Habitat for Humanity etc. They appreciate Christians who follow Christ's commands to care for the sick, the poor, the homeless and working together, both believers and non-believers accomplish more than either could alone.

If everyone was atheist, we wouldn't have mass amounts of homeless people because there would be more intelligent economic and social systems in place to ensure that there aren't homeless people everywhere.

I would also expect a city, county or state to operate homeless shelters for anyone that needs it. They're not expensive to operate ... but most cities don't, especially in cities where the majority of people on the city council are Republican Christians.

If everyone was an atheist, they would have better education and likely not end up homeless in the first place.

And, if there wasnt already a buttload of Christian based shelters, then we would institute secular shelters... Why should we erect a bunch of shelters if there are already enough to serve the homeless in the area? Are temps in the mid-20's normal in Florida?

Yeah, didnt think so.

The Salvation Army isn't Christian based, sorry. Sure, there may be Christians involved in the organisation, but that means nothing.

Many volunteer charity groups around the world are unaffiliated with religious bodies.

A true Christian still has to do the right thing which is to help the homeless even if he's/she's an Atheist.

Obviously, the Christians who run those shelters are certainly better Christians than you.

"The Salvation Army isn't Christian based, sorry. Sure, there may be Christians involved in the organisation, but that means nothing."

LOL! I HAVE ANOTHER GROUP THAT FUNDIES HATE TO ADD TO MY LIST.

Offhand, I'd say there are no secular ones because the religious-based ones were already in place...why expend the time and resources to open additional ones instead of merely support the ones already running?

Ah, the world I see is how the whole world is syndrome. Come to Europe, most of the charities are secular. I've never seen a post from Europe asking the same about Christians.

I don't really have much comment other than I surely don't pity you and your 20-25 degree weather. After trying to start my car when it was -15 (I'm in Minneapolis), 20-25 is freakin' *balmy*.

• Corey

If I had to listen to a crackpot preacher to get a blanket, I would. Effort and money that go towards proselytizing a captive audience is wasted, when it would better be spent on charity.