Meaning of the saying "walks like a duck..."?

I'm not originally from this country and some times, even after all these years, I realize that I don't fully understand the true meaning behind certain "phrases" and "sayings" - someone at work said, "if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, it's a duck" to me and I... show more I'm not originally from this country and some times, even after all these years, I realize that I don't fully understand the true meaning behind certain "phrases" and "sayings" - someone at work said, "if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, it's a duck" to me and I took it in a negative tone. The conversation was what I was allowed to do legally with a Real Estate Salesperson license. I have an active license, but it's placed in an investment company's name so that I can still earn referrals, but I'm not contracted with a brokerage and I was just asking if, legally, I was still allowed to set up an appointment to "show" a home to a friend, not sell it, but just show it. The response I got was that saying and that if I was going to be an Agent, I needed to be an Agent (meaning I could not do this "on the side" since I have a full-time job with a title company that is affiliated with this particular broker). I felt insulted and thought the response was rude - did I interpret this response incorrectly?
3 answers 3