Meaning of the saying "walks like a duck..."?

I'm not originally from this country and some times, even after all these years, I realize that I don't fully understand the true meaning behind certain "phrases" and "sayings" - someone at work said, "if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, it's a duck" to me and I took it in a negative tone. The conversation was what I was allowed to do legally with a Real Estate Salesperson license. I have an active license, but it's placed in an investment company's name so that I can still earn referrals, but I'm not contracted with a brokerage and I was just asking if, legally, I was still allowed to set up an appointment to "show" a home to a friend, not sell it, but just show it. The response I got was that saying and that if I was going to be an Agent, I needed to be an Agent (meaning I could not do this "on the side" since I have a full-time job with a title company that is affiliated with this particular broker). I felt insulted and thought the response was rude - did I interpret this response incorrectly?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

The term generally applies to situations that may have been presented as one thing but are actually something else. It can also apply to situations that are self-evident or obvious to anyone.

I think the response you were given was not a positive one...they were being a bit rude, as if they did not trust or believe your intentions of showing the house. And I am not sure that their position is accurate...you *can* do things like this on the side as long as there is no conflict of interest.

Obviously, their experience with ducks is limited... :- )

I looked it up and I was surprised to find that Wiki actually has an entry for it, as listed below.

• Honey

I don't think the responder necessarily intended to be rude. He was saying that if you engage in the activities that an Agent engages in, then you are acting as an agent and it is wrong to pretend otherwise. You will need to review the legislation in your state but in most states, if you show a property (other than one which you own) to someone who may purchase it and you hope to receive any sort of remuneration, commission, kick back, referral fee, bonus, etc. then you are acting as an Agent. If you are not a licensed Agent contracted thru a Broker, then you are likely in violation of the legislation.

The "duck" expression simply means: If a person or thing performs in most respects like a "duck" then for all intents and purposes, it IS a "duck".

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I'm not originally from this country and some times, even after all these years, I realize that I don't fully understand the true meaning behind certain "phrases" and "sayings" - someone at work said, "if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, it's a...

Source(s): meaning quot walks duck quot: https://biturl.im/4XUMX
  • shelly

That expression is usually used to mean that generally things are what they seem. It doesn't really make sense to me in the context it looks to have been used (not uncommon, even among people who have lived here their entire lives). Sorry I cannot really give you advice on the question you were trying to get an answer to, I'm not familiar with that industry. It sounds as if you did not really get the answer to the question you were asking, and if this person wants to just give you answers in the form of idioms, I think I'd find someone else to ask- since that in itself is a bit rude. hope this helps you, wish I could help more.

I don't understand all the regulations you explained, but your coworker may have meant it to mean that he doubted the honesty of your intentions, in which case it may have been a bit rude of him, but he may have meant it more as a warning to you, that even if your intentions are entirely above board, on paper it's going to look like you are trying to do exactly what the regulations are preventing you from doing, and that you might get in trouble for it.