Why are my pictures coming out dark?

i have a nikon d40x and i was taking pictures it was great, but suddenly every picture i took turned out really dark, almost black. i tried taking pictures everywhere indoors, outdoors even near light but it still dark. i even have the flash on. i tried putting it on automatic, even manual but still dark :( i'm... show more i have a nikon d40x and i was taking pictures it was great, but suddenly every picture i took turned out really dark, almost black. i tried taking pictures everywhere indoors, outdoors even near light but it still dark. i even have the flash on. i tried putting it on automatic, even manual but still dark :( i'm so screwed. can someone help me? my mom is gonna kill me if she finds out that i broke it. thanks :D :D

ps. ofcourse the cover is opened
Update: thankyou so much guys :D your posts are greatly appreciated. my friend found out that the thing to reflect the light is crooked so he pushed it a little and now it works i was so worried but thanks <3