Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Noah's Flood believers: Where did...?

...Noah and his family and the animals get oxygen to breathe while they were on the ark?

It's a well-established fact that the earth's atmosphere has no naturally-occurring free oxygen, all the oxygen we breathe comes from plants converting CO2 to oxygen through photosynthesis.

With all the plants on earth underwater, there would be little or no photosynthesis, and no free oxygen in the atmosphere. Noah and his family and all the animals on the ark should have died within a couple of weeks from lack of oxygen.

So, how did that work?

Update:

Yes, the majority of oxygen is produced by algae and phytoplankton, living things. But the bible says every living thing was wiped out, so no algae nor phytoplankton...

Or is the bible wrong?

Update 2:

People in submarines have oxygen generators inside their submarines -- human inventions.

Update 3:

They wouldn't have to 'consume' it -- oxygen escapes from the atmosphere very quickly, and as a reactant it oxidizes very quickly. Scientists estimate that without constant generation of new oxygen, our atmosphere wouldn't have enough for *any* human to breathe in 2-3 weeks...

Update 4:

The bible says the flood was at least 30 feet over the tops of the highest mountains, so no trees on mountains. And, again it says *every living thing* died, so no algae nor phytoplankton...

23 Answers

Relevance
  • Hally
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Also, all of the fish on the planet would have died. There's no way that salt and fresh water fish could survive in the brackish flood waters for months as their ecosystems were entirely destroyed. Anyone who has ever had an aquarium knows that a small variation in either pH or temperature can kill your fish.

Either Noah would have had to carry every single species of fish on this planet on the ark (plus, their mates, a re-creation of their ecosystem, and their food source -- bearing in mind that there are dozens of species of whales alone, in other words, IMPOSSIBLE), or else there should be no fish in our oceans now. Which of course, there are.

It's so obviously a five-thousand-year-old Semitic cosmological myth.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

1) Noah's Flood believers: Where did...?

...Noah and his family and the animals get oxygen to breathe while they were on the ark?

This may surprise you, but oxygen is found in our atmosphere.

2) It's a well-established fact that the earth's atmosphere has no naturally-occurring free oxygen, all the oxygen we breathe comes from plants converting CO2 to oxygen through photosynthesis.

With all the plants on earth underwater, there would be little or no photosynthesis, and no free oxygen in the atmosphere.

Clearly false. Oxygen doesn't suddenly disappear just because there are no plants. This is basic (elementary school) science....

* plants produce oxygen and intake carbon dioxide

* animals intake oxygen and produce carbon dioxide

SO - if the atmosphere had a high enough proportion of oxygen for, say, 1,000 people prior to the flood, then even without plants there would be enough oxygen in the atmosphere for 8 people to live 125 days.

The Earth's atmosphere has far, far, far more oxygen that is required by 1,000 people. It has far more than is required by 6 billion people. Naturally, it's best if plants produce oxygen at least as quickly as people use it - but animal life can continue without plant life until the relative amount of oxygen in the atmosphere is reduced to below the minimum required level.

Of course, this doesn't even consider the fact that most of the Earth's oxygen is believed to be produced by oceanic algae.

Jim, http://www.BibleSelector.com

• 1 decade ago

Lets not forget the mountains had plants, and Noah brought all the plants that were needed right there on the boat. However all human and animals died leaving all the oxygen for one boat of people.

I personally believe that there were high grounds that contained some life during the great flood. Noah's family were not the only ones that survived, and they calmed they found the ark on a mountain, and some of the tallest mountains around the wold contain fossils from dinosaurs.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

To bad around 70% of the oxygen comes from sea agile which grows in water. Not that i believe in Noah's ark. not to mention if it work you way Fish are mythical creatures, they breath oxygen... just not air. Ever wonder why they have those pumps shooting air into a fish tank?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If in fact the flood story is literal (many more also have the gret flood story) then I would suppose that those alive at that time saw their known world flooded. There is geological evidence to suggest a great flood in the fertile crescent during the time. So if all you ever knew was flooded wouldn't hat translate to "the earth was flooded?"

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Most of the Oxygen we get is from the ocean. I'm not saying I believe the Noah story, but I just thought I'd let you know you don't make a good argument.

Source(s): Agnostic Theist; Metalhead.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Really tall trees provided the oxygen. Plus there was a lot sea weed growth.

• 1 decade ago

While I agree that the ark story is,at best, poppycock the phytoplankton would have provided sufficient oxygen.I expect better from you.lol.

• 1 decade ago

Wow, brilliant! LOL

So, the entire global atmosphere full of air, would not support that single boat load of animals and the 8 humans for the short time period they were on the ark?

I think you've miscalculated... only 8 people breathing the air in this giant atmosphere, would last a long long time.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I find the story of Noah completely absurd, how ever, I find it difficult to believe that a small family of humans and a boat load of animals could consume that much oxygen in a matter of weeks...

Source(s): Natural Science and Agnostic Logic
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.