In what country do EFL teachers earn the highest salaries?

Money isn't everything, but it's something I'm taking into account. This sounds shallow but I've assessed my situation and I have some debts to pay. Furthermore my parents are having financial problems of their own and I would like to be able to help them out by sending some money home. No EFL job is gonna pay six figures... I get that... but I figure that every little bit helps.

I'm dying to return to Spain (difficult! I know!) or to Mexico (where I went to college) but I am also dying to have a new adventure and see more of the world. Something about Central and South America seduces me. asia seems exciting.

However, I am thinking that it might be wise to go teach somewhere where I have a chance at saving a little $$$ and then returning to mexico or Spain, two countries I miss terribly... but where it is not easy to save money.

Best Answer

There is no simple answer to the question as the answers depends on the cost of living (food, housing, transportation, etc. costs) in each country. Additionally, each country's currency when placed against the major [Australian Dollar (AUD), British Pound (GBP), Canadian Dollar (CAD), Euro (EUR), Hong Kong Dollar (HKD), Japanese Yen (JPY), Swiss Franc (CHF), and US Dollar (USD)] currencies.

A couple of things to look forward in your search for that Shangri La you are seeking. First and foremost, determine what your living costs will be in the country where you wish to work, next figure in trips and extras you will want to take to experience life in the country, and finally make sure you will have enough in reserve to leave if circumstances warrant a quick departure. Also bear in mind that many countries pay in local currencies and it is unsafe to have a lot of money on your person or in your lodging in most places as this warrants attacks. After all, are not all "Americans" millionaires?

Finally, remember that in most of the "industrialized countries" of the world English is a required subject in schools so in these nations there will not be much of a call for an EFL teacher, except in the international schools where the teaching of the country's future leaders takes place.

You might want to try Guatemala, Costa Rica, Honduras, or Argentina as a start. All 4 have a good relationship with the USA and Guatemala is world famous for its language schools. In Guatemala City there is an UN sanctioned "English" school.

Hope this helps ...

• hinman

seem up regardless of district's web site you decide directly to artwork for and their revenue time table is published there. bear in mind that in case you're searching for certification for catagories mutually with technology, Math or specific training, you're regularly given a stipend on suitable of the customary revenue as a results of fact people who choose to instruct in those subjects are mandatory extra effective than us who choose for to instruct the - maximum extreme - elementary component to training (English/Language Arts).