How do you figure out what your passion in life is ?

I am so lost :-/

I don't know what I want..

I am 25 with a Masters in IT, passed in Aug..still jobless

I am applying for jobs and giving interviews...no luck as of now

I am not even interested in IT field now..

god this sucks

Help ! I badly need good advice..thought like I might get it from elderly people in this section

How do I figure out what I want ??

@ Arnold ... you are sick !

@ NoWay, Diane, Doethineb and Bogey..

THANKS !!

Favorite Answer

I see more than one question when I read your details; finding your passion, finding employment, losing interest in the field you've studied, feeling lost, figuring out what you want. So; my first bit of advice would be to ease up a bit on trying to accomplish everything at once. Spend a couple of days thinking about what your priorities are right now, and not too far in the future. Write lists of things you must do and things you want to do. Review the "must do" and "want to do' lists, pick one or two things from each list; and focus on working hard to achieve those things. Once you've accomplished something then you can add another item to work on. Sometimes it helps to focus your attention on a goal rather than trying to accomplish everything perfectly.

Keep in mind that many people are struggling to find employment right now. Feeling frustrated is a typical response to looking for work in a tight job market; but it is important that you work to avoid the luxury discouragement. If one interview doesn't lead to an offer, then apply for work with a different company. Take advantage of job counselors; from your school, from a state employment agency, from any associations or clubs you belong to. Take a hard look at your resume; do you tweak it for each job you apply for?

IT is such a broad field; I can't think of one field that doesn't use IT in some fashion. Try to focus your job hunt on employers from fields that interest you. If you like working with numbers; then consider looking in the Finance industry: banks, credit unions, financial planning firms, investment firms, State or Federal Agencies like the IRS or tax collectors. The Health care field is still growing, look at: Hospitals, clinics, State Medicaid offices, academic or private Medical Research, Pharmaceutical companies, Pharmacies, medical charities and foundations, local Emergency Medical Services, this list is nearly endless. If you like working with children; look at schools or school districts, or day care, or child protective services agencies. If you like to travel, consider working as a contractor for a Federal or State Agency: State Department, Military, Homeland Security..........if you don't know what might engage you; then work with a career counselor or use an online career guidance site.

There are a few people who start out knowing exactly what their passion is and are able to make a career out of that passion from an early age; but I believe that this is rare. Most of us spend some time working towards a career that we are passionate about; we don't start out in the perfect job, we start out doing what we can and work towards our passion. For example; I knew what job I wanted when I first started college; but it took me 3 years after I was first hired to move to my 'dream job'. I also strongly believe that finding our passion is a process; few of us have single lifelong passion; we develop passions as we gain experience in the world. Don't wait for the perfect job; do the best you can now and prepare yourself to seize opportunities as they come along.

• Holly

This is something you may not realize for a good part of your life; where your passions lie. In high school we're supposed to just come up with a career choice so we can go to college and pursue that dream. Young people shouldn't be forced to choose a lifetime career at 17. I've changed "careers" probably 10 times. Keep your options open. In many cases, what we think we're passionate about, loses it's charm after working in that field for a number of years.

You are probably in 'panic mode" right now because things aren't coming together as you imagined they would if you worked hard and received a Masters-great job, by the way! It will look great on your resume, no matter what job you're pursuing. Check your attitude and be positive no matter what stress you're feeling. People are drawn to those with a spark of energy. It stands out from the crowd of all those applying for the same job.....they'll remember you. Be a professional and bring out an abundance of confidence when you're interviewing...make them fall in love with you. It's your show so make a great entrance and steal their hearts.

You don't have to stick to just one passion in life. You may find you have several. It strikes me that at the moment you feel enslaved to a particular discipline in which you have no interest. You should be going out and doing what you are interested in and using that discipline as the means to an end.

Are you applying for jobs in a blinkered way, looking in the IT sections of newspapers and websites? Maybe you should set your horizons wider and look to see what new fields you might enter while you are still young and trainable, where IT skills might be of marginal interest, but where the main focus would be on something more interesting to you: the press, publishing, commerce, banking, television, government service, etc. It might be a good idea too to obtain some work experience by temping, if you can get the work. If you have a Masters in IT, then you should be able to get a job as a temporary typist/secretary. This is a very useful way of moving about and making contacts and seeing what's going in the job market. It beats sitting about feeling sorry for yourself.

I believe the passion eventually will find you. The problem you have is that you do not have a job and it can be quite depressing. This is what the core of the problem is. Keep applying for those jobs but also look at similar jobs, or jobs that require some IT experience as well as offer an opportunity to learn other skills. Keeping busy when you are not working can be the best way to avoid being down, and you are definitely not alone there. Hang in there, try to look at other positions (just for the experience) too, or even volunteer some time to a worthy cause can improve your outlook and who knows what may come your way. Good luck there and try not to worry too much - You are not alone with these problems.

At 25 you don't have to commit to a career yet. I've had several very different and successful careers in my life. Just because you got a degree in something doesn't mean that you have to follow that career path. My first degree was in teaching and I quit that after a few years.However, I still teach community education programs and some college seminars. Then I went back and got more education in business. I was a business exec for many years till I got tired of the constant travel and the corporate politics. I also have owned several small businesses of various types. I then got interested in social work and gerontology and got masters in those fields. I now own a geriatric care management company. Your interests change as you go through life and if you are anything like me you might like new challenges to keep you going. The advice I gave to my children is to look at what you enjoy doing in your spare time for free and find a way to make money at it. Use your talents and think outside of the box as to how to apply them. Get creative. Consider being an entrepreneur. Give some thought to giving a year of service as a Vista Volunteer or Peace Corp Member. Do volunteer work instead of sitting at home feeling sorry for your self. You will be surprised how many contacts you make just being out in public that might lead to job offers. Don't overlook working for a not for profit. You can also decide if maybe you want to go back to school for another masters in an area that you are interested in and that would go along with your IT background. Perhaps you would like public policy, communications, not for profit management, health care management, human resources etc. There are a ton of options for you if you open up your eyes and your heart to consider them.

• sunny

Just get a job. Any job. You need to relax and get this off your mind. You are concentrating on getting a job in the field that you majored in that you can't think of anything else. Just get a job and once you do you will find that your problem will solve it's self. Once you are working you will meet all kinds of people. You might also change your mind about what you want to do. Something may find you. I don't care if it is working at Starbucks, just get a job. However, try to work some where that you come in contact with successful people who might be of some help to you. Someone who can give you a stepping stone to something else. Good luck.

With the many good answers here, and not taking away from any, I'll say this (and it worked for me):

We are virtually brainwashed into getting a degree; then it's work, work, work, typical 2 week vacation, then work, work, work. Nothing's ever mentioned about finding and maintaining a hobby that will offset the challenges/stresses of work, giving you a balance.

Find out what your true, and natural passion is. Photography, drawing, dancing, painting, tennis, cooking, the list is endless. Even if you cultivate that passion only on weekends, it'll give you self-esteem, pride and gratification that will transend into your career. Do something seperate and totally different from the workplace.

I.e. One of my passion's is figure skating. Before retirement I'd sometimes skate at my local rink before work. It made my workday more tolerable (nothing phased me), boosted my self-esteem and literally gave me a balance of work/passion. The scale tipped even. I'm retired-into skating.

I also love to sew, and made most of my clothes. Gave me an escape from the drudgery/rut of nothing but work.

Consider each and every Answerer's posts. Whichever you decide, I wish you the best.

• DR W

It's depressing when you have earned two degrees and are having trouble getting a job in your field. But remember, there are a lot of people vying for jobs right now. Ask yourself, "What makes me stand out from the rest?" You may have to rethink your resume and interviewing techniques. Or expand your job parameters or locations. Good luck!

Take a year and work at something you like. If you can make a good life on your wages and have benefits start your own business doing the same. Being happy is the most important thing because your health will be better working at something you like instead of being under pressure and unhappy. Good luck.

"..thought like I might get it from elderly people"

Haha. That made me laugh. Why not become a comedian?

Anyway, listen there are people in there 50's who ask themselves the same question. Its only the lucky few who, from birth, know what they want out of life and know how to get it, for the rest of us its a constant battle and search for our place and what "were supposed to do".

You sound much like myself actually, Im in the IT fiueld and have no interest in it. But it pays the rent so Im happy. If your not happy find out what makes you happy. Go travelling. Take some time out and think about where you want to be when your 30 - at an office texting your boyfriend about dinner or in France working at a bakery part-time... Life has no rules so its up to you to make your own.