Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthAlternative Medicine · 1 decade ago

Is there a cure for xerophthalmia?

I've had dry eyes for years. My condition got worse over the last two years, due to my excessive use of contact lenses. My doctor perscribed me eye drops that only have a temporary effect. He says that there is no permanent cure for xerophthalmia, but I was wondering if there are any (home) remedies I could try.

Favorite Answer

It depends on what is causing the problem. One of the causes of xerophthalmia is vitamin A deficiency. If this is the case, supplementation with vitamin A will remedy the problem. In any case, you should be eating foods rich in vitamin A, such as: eggs, meat, milk, cheese, cream, liver, kidney, cod, and halibut fish oil. However, all of these sources -- except for skim milk that has been fortified with Vitamin A -- are high in saturated fat and cholesterol.

Carotenoids are dark-colored dyes found in plant foods that can turn into a form of vitamin A. One such carotenoid is beta-carotene. Sources of beta-carotene are carrots, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, winter squashes, cantaloupe, pink grapefruit, apricots, broccoli, spinach, and most dark green, leafy vegetables. The more intense the color of a fruit or vegetable, the higher the beta-carotene content. These vegetable sources of beta-carotene are free of fat and cholesterol.

The other obvious thing that I would suggest is to stop wearing contact lenses if you see that it is making the problem worse.

Source(s): Naturopathic physician

Xerophthalmiais a disease caused by deficiency of vitamin A. It is characterized by drying of the tear ducts resulting in degeneration of the transparent part of the eye, leading to ulceration of the cornea and blindness. It is the commonest preventable cause of blindness worldwide. A few treatment options are available, including:

1. Dry eye treatments, moisture replacement therapies, eye ointment, false tears, punctal methycellulose, punctal occlusion surgery, collagen plugs, silicon plugs, avoidance of wind, Humidifier, stop smoking, no second hand smoke, chew gum, suck hard candy, saliva motivations, brush teeth, use lotions, take shorter showers, libation, avoid sugar, take antibiotics and etc. These are just some of the treatments available for this type of illness. It helps to seek the help of a doctor before commencing this process.

2. Wearing blue-light protection glasses and lenses like Taime Eyewear(http://www.halovis.com)

Xerophthalmia Treatment

• Bonnie

If this is a question you appear to have no need of answers, just arguments to support your views. Christians are here solely to proclaim the good news that God came to reconcile the world to Himself. If the world chooses to reject His Kingdom it must face the inevitable devolutionary process that began with the Fall ends with the corruption of the human race .Much as we see all the experts in a flat spin today.. I believe that Jesus is my Saviour because religion and humanism fail to satisfy the human heart. Only love and forgiveness heal.So for me at my humble level , having enjoyed only one lifetime to ponder the whole Shakespearean plot and purpose I too have to fall back where I started..as a child of the Universe. I really cannot see that playing the superiority game debating with God will do any good except to flaunt our our own dependency on Him.Lots of people have tried it including Job and his friends,,The Jewish Council and even the modern day Authors all trying to outsmart Christ Himself, yet where did they end up?In backward somersaults, reeling from the words of His lips!

problematic step search at google this could help