Lens for basketball game?

So I have the Canon EOS 500D/Rebel T1i that came with the standard 18-55mm lens, which isn't bad. I've had fun with it. But, I'm going to a basketball game in a few weeks and I couldn't quite afford the better seats so I'm going to be a little a lot far up. I'm not exactly wanting... show more So I have the Canon EOS 500D/Rebel T1i that came with the standard 18-55mm lens, which isn't bad. I've had fun with it. But, I'm going to a basketball game in a few weeks and I couldn't quite afford the better seats so I'm going to be a little a lot far up.

I'm not exactly wanting pictures of the game its self as much as I'm wanting pictures of the arena and crowd. I'm wanting a good lens to capture something big like that but I'm on a budget. I'm going to try and keep it below $700. I know there's a few $300-$500 out there.

The stadium will be well lit, wide, and people are going to be wiggling around. I'd prefer to get it from Best Buy (where my line of credit is at...) but any suggestions would be much appreciated it. I've never been let down before from you guys.
Update: Jenny, to me the lens it came with is a great starter lens. It does everything I expect it to without fail. I'm just wanting something more powerful now but I don't regret in the least starting off with this one. And Foto..Pho....Face man, thanks. I'm going to be WAY up in the spectator stands so... show more Jenny, to me the lens it came with is a great starter lens. It does everything I expect it to without fail. I'm just wanting something more powerful now but I don't regret in the least starting off with this one.

And Foto..Pho....Face man, thanks. I'm going to be WAY up in the spectator stands so I'm not really looking to get pictures of the game or players all too much. I'm wanting to pan the crowd and get pictures of the stadium.

I also want future usage of landscape scenery....wide angle type of stuff. But, I note your input. Thank you =)
Update 2: KND...that's actually a good point you bring up. I'm going to look into that..