I need to read a good book?!?

I am a kind of picky reader. I mainly like books about "real life situations"...Or really good memoirs. The books that i have really enjoyed are The Pact, Nineteen Minutes, Go Ask Alice...I really want to read Loose Girl A Memoir of Promiscuity. I like racy books, but not romance novels. Books about drug addiction, or other types of addiction.

Ok well thanks for your suggestions.

• Shelly
    Favorite Answer

You might enjoy some of these:

- ‘Tomorrow when the war began’ by John Marsden which is about a group of teenagers who go camping for a while in the holidays, and when they return home, they find their whole town captured and that they are at war. All telephone lines have been cut and there is no way out of the town without facing thousands of guards. They are the town’s only hope to freedom. It’s really moving to see what they have to go through (people die, become injured and captured, and they still have to keep fighting!) Blurb on back of the book:

Ellie and her friends leave home one quiet morning, wave goodbye to their parents and head up to the hills to camp out for a while; seven teenagers filling in time during the school holidays.

The world is about to change forever. Their lives will never be the same again.

Would you fight? Would you give up everything? Would you sacrifice even life itself?

Tomorrow when the war began asks the biggest questions you will ever have to answer.

- Pharaoh by Jackie French. It's a quick read, but extremely good, and is set in 3000BCE and is about a prince of Egypt and his journey to becoming King through all the complications. It is based on a real story, and is in a time before even the pyramids were built. And it's all true! It's amazing, and I would definitely recommend it! Here's some more information about it:

Prince Narmer is heir to the throne of Thinis. Narmer has everything a young prince could want – good looks, his father’s love and respect, and the love and respect of his people. But he is the younger son, and his older brother Hawk isn’t as helpful and subservient as he appears to be. A visit from a well travelled trader and his assistant Nitho introduces Narmer to the Oracle, and suddenly Thinis, the largest town on the Nile, doesn’t seem like the centre of the universe to him. When he is attacked by a crocodile, and betrayed by those closest to him, Narmer’s world closes, but as he takes his own journey across the desert, the world suddenly opens, along with the future.

Well researched, and beautifully characterised, Pharaoh is, at its heart, a story about coming of age—about growing from youth to maturity. It touches on all the big themes – beauty below the skin, honesty, courage, understanding, and the nature of change, both psychological and global. That it’s set in a historically rich context makes it more fascinating...

Also, if you want to read the blurb on the back of the book, click here: http://www.harpercollins.com.au/books/978020720082...

- To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee. "Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."

A lawyer's advice to his children as he defends the real mockingbird of Harper Lee's classic novel--a black man charged with the rape of a white girl. Through the young eyes of Scout and Jem Finch, Harper Lee explores with rich humor and unswerving honesty the irrationality of adult attitudes toward race and class in the Deep South of the 1930s. The conscience of a town steeped in prejudice, violence, and hypocrisy is pricked by the stamina and quiet heroism of one man's struggle for justice--but the weight of history will only tolerate so much.

One of the best-loved classics of all time, To Kill a Mockingbird has earned many distinctions since its original publication in 1960. It has won the Pulitzer Prize, been translated into more than forty languages, sold more than thirty million copies worldwide, and been made into an enormously popular movie. Recently, librarians across the US gave the book the highest of honors by voting it the best novel of the century (Library Journal). I would seriously recommend this book.

Hope I helped!

Source(s): I've read them all (of course)

You will LOVE the book "The Best Little Girl in the World". Its a really intense novel through the point of view of a girl suffering from anorexia nervosa. Seriously, when I read it it was the most interesting thing I have ever read in my life.

Also, the same person who edited the Go Ask Alice book also edited some other true-life diaries such as "Annie's Baby" (Teen Pregnancy) "It happened to Nancy" (HIV/AIDS) and I would suggest the book Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson.

Not Without My Daughter

by: Betty Mahmoody

a real-life situation book

Depending on your age, if you're looking for something real life, try "In search of respect"

By Philippe I. Bourgois

It's actually an social anthropological text - and I have only read the first edition:

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=lqWYiOJI2psC&d...

If you're looking for fiction - try pretty much anything by S.E. Hinton (The Outsiders, Rumble Fish, That Was Then, This Is Now etc)

• Alice

Cherry by Mary Karr

I was gonna say nineteen minutes haha. jodi picoult also wrote my sister keeper and thats a real gooder.Or try the hunger games.

• La

You might enjoy the "Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, hope I have helped you. Happy reading!!

Green Eggs & Ham..A huge twist at the end very good read