Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How was the confederate states of america a nation?

Please explain how the confederate states of america was a nation, and at the same time how it wasnt a nation.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The CSA (Confederate States of America) was the collection of all states that seceded from the USA (United States of America) during the middle of the 1800s. It was a nation because it was an official collaboration of the states and their governments. They were all unified against the idea of abolition, some, albeit not significant, were also against the format of the current government, claiming it was too favorable to the North.

The problem was, was that the ones who were against the ideals of the US federal government were pro-states-righters. That meant that they wanted the majority of power to be given to the states, leaving the central government with little power to control them (this is known as the "Compact Theory of States"). When the CSA was created, not many citizens supported it, they only cared for their own state, leaving the CSA a very weak nation.

Source(s): AP US History will never leave me
  • crunch
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Just like the USA is not a "nation" today, the CSA was not a "nation" during its short time of existence. Neither is or was any more a "nation" than the current European Union.

Each composed of separate nations, called states, united under a constitution and a government instituted by agreement to act for the federation or confederation in matters of treaty, trade and war.

Given the union of the Southern states was much weaker than the states that remained in the older union, but at least they had the balls to fight against an unconstiutional government and its minion states which were content to kiss its *** and do as it asked, which of course was to invade other states and compel them to give consent to the government that today still persists in asking all the states to kiss its ***.

The Union was formed by the voluntary agreement of the States; and these, in uniting together, have not forfeited their Nationality, nor have they been reduced to the condition of one and the same people. If one of the States chose to withdraw its name from the contract, it would be difficult to disprove its right of doing so … – Alex de Tocqueville, Democracy In America

States are the characteristics, and the soul of the confederation. If the States be not the agents of this compact, it must be one of great consolidated National Government of the people of all the States." – Patrick Henry, 1788 Virginia debates, stated on June 4, 1788 while arguing against the words "we the people" in the Preamble believing the proper words would have been "we the states".

The... people, North and South, went into the [Civil] war as citizens of their respective states, they came out as subjects (of a federal government) … what they thus lost they have never got back. – H.L. Mencken

I saw in States’ rights the only availing check upon the absolutism of the sovereign will, and secession filled me with hope, not as the destruction but as the redemption of Democracy…. Therefore I deemed that you were fighting the battles of our liberty, our progress, and our civilization, and I mourn for the stake which was lost at Richmond more deeply than I rejoice over that which was saved at Waterloo. - Lord Acton, in a letter to Robert E Lee right after the war

Just like the people of the European states that form that "union" who possibly take pride in being called European, I still fathom a Frenchman would still take pause at being confused with an Englishman and if France chose to leave that union would the remaining members invade France to compel it back into the Union?

http://www.ena.lu/

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.