Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 decade ago

Abortion at 28weeks: Isn't that murder?

I am from Mississippi and I recently moved to NewYork. Obviosly they have much better health care here and more options. I found out that I was pregnant in October, and the nurse told me she was required to tell me all of my options which I did not mind. She handed me a paper of all the clinics that took care of women while pregnant and then a two page list of abortion clinics.

I am ProChoice, so this really did not bother me. I was happy to see that a woman could have so many options here in NY because I come from a state where you have only two, have the baby and keep it, or have the baby and give it up. The thing that bothered me greatly was that some of the Abortion Clinics offered Abortions up to 28 weeks gestation!!

Now as I said, I am prochoice and believe it should be a woman's right to abort a pregnancy.. But 28 weeks?! Isnt that Murder?!

Just a little note: I perhaps should of asked "What is your opinion?" Instead of just "Is this murder?!" I do believe after a point in the pregnancy it is simply WRONG to abort and as I said I am ProChoice. That being said, I don't believe I could have an abortion even if giving birth to the child would kill me, the baby still deserves a chance at life. Thanks everyone for all the opinions so far!

Another note: Because a few of you had said 24 weeks was the latest, I went back and looked at my paper because I could of sworn it was 28 weeks. You are correct and I was wrong on that one. But still the same applies.. 24 weeks is just uncalled for and I dissagree. There was only one clinic that offered up to 28 weeks and it states it must be due to medical issues. ie: the baby wont live anyway. Sorry!

Favorite Answer

EDIT EDIT EDIT -

Some disorders, defects ect do not become apparent or visible on the sono/ultrasound until late in pregnancy like anencephaly (neural tube fails to close, no brain is formed)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anencephaly

Also . . . .

In 1987, the Alan Guttmacher Institute collected questionnaires from 1,900 women in the United States who came to clinics to have abortions. Of the 1,900 questioned, 420 had been pregnant for 16 or more weeks. These 420 women were asked to choose among a list of reasons they had not obtained the abortions earlier in their pregnancies. The results were as follows:

71% Woman didn't recognize she was pregnant or misjudged gestation

48% Woman found it hard to make arrangements for abortion

33% Woman was afraid to tell her partner or parents

24% Woman took time to decide to have an abortion

8% Woman waited for her relationship to change

8% Someone pressured woman not to have abortion

6% Something changed after woman became pregnant

6% Woman didn't know timing is important

5% Woman didn't know she could get an abortion

2% A fetal problem was diagnosed late in pregnancy

11% Other

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late-term_abortion#Re...

And teens because of the reasons listed above and are the most likely to wait.

The line in the sand at 24 weeks if fine where it is. Why? Keep reading -

Researchers from the University of California, San Francisco in the Journal of the American Medical Association concluded in a meta-analysis of data from dozens of medical reports and studies that fetuses are unlikely to feel pain until the third trimester of pregnancy.[2][3] There is an emerging consensus among developmental neurobiologists that the establishment of thalamocortical connections (at about 26 weeks) is a critical event with regard to fetal perception of pain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetal_pain#Medical_st...

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/short/294/8/9...

Fetuses cannot feel pain until at least the 28th week of gestation because they haven't formed the necessary nerve pathways, sguttays Mark Rosen, an obstetrical anesthesiologist at the University of California at San Francisco. He and his colleagues determined that until the third trimester, "the wiring at the point where you feel pain, such as the skin, doesn't reach the emotional part where you feel pain, in the brain." Although fetuses start forming pain receptors eight weeks into development, the thalamus, the part of the brain that routes information to other areas, doesn't form for 20 more weeks. Without the thalamus, Rosen says, no information can reach the cortex for processing.

http://discovermagazine.com/2005/dec/fetus-feel-pa...

This kinda of stuff belongs between a women, her partner and her doc. none of us have a right to say anything because we will *never* know the whole truth of it.

Moot point, if an abortion were to happen at 28 weeks it would medically necessary for either the fetal or maternal life, that's the only way it is legal in the US.

What do you have against medically necessary abortions?

~Pro-Choice Momma; Have had an abortion <no regrets> and I have a 12 month old daughter <no regrets>. I believe in protecting my daughter's choice.

Abortion: There is a Consensus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsSQiazUv

Youtube thumbnail

It's only 100% murder if you're a religious fundamentalist. If you're not, you can use reason to look at the issue in more depth. Depending on the country you live in, abortion generally isn't murder if it's performed in the first 3 months of the pregnancy. In the UK (my country) It's perfectly legal (ie not murder) to have an abortion if the pregnancy is less than 24 weeks old. The same is the case in pretty much all western countries I know about, and I guess south africa is the same. Any later than that and you won't be allowed to have one unless your own life is in danger. When trying to decide if it's murder or not, remember that a foetus is not a human being yet, it doesn't feel pain or emotion like a child or an adult. The question is, at what point does a foetus become developed enough to start feeling pain and emotion?

It really depends on the state laws.. I thought that the very latest was 24 weeks, or the "point of viability". Most states won't do abortion if the fetus is viable and could live outside the womb. My nephew was born at 25 weeks and is now a healthy 7 year old, so I don't see HOW they could get away with aborting at 28 weeks! According to what I've read online, even New York law states 24 weeks is the latest an abortion can be performed, if after 20 weeks, there must be a second doctor present in case the baby is born alive. The main reason why I'm as pro-life as I am is because of the current abortion laws. Babies can be born and LIVE at 24 weeks, which in my book is definitely murder and irresponsible on the part of the mother for waiting so long unless her life is in danger. Women should have the right to choose, but abortion should NEVER be used as a form of birth control, and NEVER should they be allowed to be so irresponsible as to wait until even 24 weeks to abort.

As sad as it is nothing is murder untill a baby has taken its first breath. why do u think heartless PR**** that beat on there wife an kill the fetus do not get charged with murder. ? because it isnt murder. i would not have an abortion but i do not judge other ppl for doing it, and think its WRONG that ppl say give your child up for adoption instead.. well i think thats wrong how could you possibly carry a child for 9 months then give it away.. thats sick i believe! womans rights! i am with you!! i know im going to get thumbs down but i dont care i am aloud to voice my opinion!!

but i do think 28 weeks is going a bit far!! my friends child survived at 28 weeks! so if you are plannig to abort please dont leave it too late.. not only for the fetus's sake but you may cause yourself many complications that cannot be reversed! good luck

As far as I know its not considered murder until a baby is born (according to the law) but it is considered "feticide" if the baby is killed by means other than an abortion.

"In 2004, Congress enacted and President Bush signed the Unborn Victims of Violence Act, which recognizes the "child in utero" as a legal victim if he or she is injured or killed during the commission of any of 68 existing federal crimes of violence. Of the 35 states that recognize fetal homicide, 25 apply the principle throughout the period of pre-natal development, while 10 establish protection at some later stage, which varies from state to state. For example, California treats the killing of a fetus as homicide, but does not treat the killing of an embryo (prior to approximately eight weeks) as homicide, by construction of the California Supreme Court.[7] Some other states do not consider the killing of a fetus to be homicide until the fetus has reached quickening or viability."

But these laws don't generally apply to abortion. It may apply in some cases if its an unlawful abortion.

Source(s): Wikipedia "feticide"
  • I am prochoice, but only up to a certain point. I think anything after 8 weeks is wrong. At 12 weeks, my son already had arms and legs, and was jumping around in my womb in his ultrasound. There is NO way someone should be having an abortion at 28 weeks. It's disgusting.

I live in NY and no clinics around where I live offer them after 12 weeks unless they are medically done by a doctor for medical problems.

I'm not prochoice and I won't try to hide it or pretend I'm someone I'm not, but yes, it's murder even if you are of a more libral mindset where abortion is considered. A baby can be born at 28wks and live a normal healthy life(after a stint in the NICU) so the very idea of murdering someone who could sustain life outside the womb is definitely murder.

Um, yes. At that point a baby has a 75 percent chance of living outside the womb if taken at 28 weeks and a 97 percent chance of making it to full term and being perfect. If that doesn't count as murder, there is something seriously wrong with our nation and our definition of what life is and means.

• Akira

im against abortion, i could never have one but i dont juudge others for having an abortion i personaly hate it. an i know its a womans right whether she keeps or has her baby but i think as soon as the baby has a heartbeat its murder so 5 or 6 weeks pregnant.

but at 28 weeks pregnant the baby is pretty much fully formed.. i mean she could have the baby at the week an it would most likely live an she could put it up for adoption..