Rose asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 1 decade ago

Ballet Turnboard....?

Hey guys, have any of you heard about the "Ballet is fun Turnboard"? The one the helps your turns in ballet because I suck at them: http://balletisfun.com/TurnBoardVideo-DiscountDanc...

If you own one, what do you think of it and does it help you with your turns (regular ones w/o turnboard)?

Favorite Answer

i would not suggest buying this product.

one, the turn board has you spinning with a flat foot. in ballet, turns are either done on the ball of your toes or the bottom of your pointe shoes. when you go to turn on your feet, you will have a completely different sense of balance and your turns will not have improved.

second, the turn board reduces friction, which is something that a dancer has to face.

instead of buying this useless product, i would recommend practice turning at least 30 minutes everyday (not counting time spent in dance class). focus on spotting.

work your way up from single turn on both feet to triple or more turns on one foot.

your can always ask your instructor for drills that you can do at home.

ok I just received this in the mail and I opened it not even five minutes ago and I already love it. All of the people who say that this doesn't help anything, it actually does. It helps you spot, it helps leg or posé positions, and it helps you with balance. Also, it gives you a feeling where you need to keep going or else you may fall. This helps because you may not know it, but you will experience the same type of thing in regular turning.

Source(s): My turning board

hi im a dancer too and iv been dancing en pointe for a while now. if you think your ready and strong enough ask your teacher beg if you must. i bought my cousin (8) pointe shoes and she is wearing them in class at her studio. she does quite well in them. if you keep on stretching and strengthening your feet you will get to the pointe level. and are you a serious dancer or recreational?

I bought one, and i like it. It helped me more with gaining a sense of balance while turning ( flat footed of course) and getting familiar with the sensations of turning, not increasing the number of turns.Of course your balance will be different on the ball of your foot vs flat footed.. but i feel the turn-board still ultimately helped.

Thats stupid, you need to work on your turns the old fashion way to get them better.

Ugh, people these days, always trying to take the easy way out.

Well news flash, Ballet isnt easy!