? asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 1 decade ago

Does Direct TV have the right to draw money out of my account without me knowing, even though i dont have abp?

I never set up automatic bill pay with Direct TV. I paid my bill a couple of times with my debit card, but never had any automatic payments. They took $500+ out of my accout on December 23rd without even notifying me of it. They said they will give the money back, but I have to wait 30 days. Everytime I call I get the run-around and they will not send my bank a confirmation. They said it is in my contract that they have a right to do this, but they cannot tell me where. Do they have the right? Someone please help!

Favorite Answer

they probably don't have the right thats why they said they will refund the money. to hasten the process, call your bank and tell them that payment was not authorized and you are therefore requesting that the amount be credited back to your account asap.

You may have inadvertantly left a box checked setting up future bills to be paid automatically. A lot of companies do this when making online payments and in some cases that I've come across you have to jump through hoops just to make sure it's a one time payment. Apparently, several companies think everyone enjoys mindlessly paying bills before actually reviewing them.

• ?

When you signed the contract with them you agreed to make prompt payments and gave them the right to recover funds owed. The first time you used your Debit to pay the bill that was tacit agreement to the company to draw from this account.

THAT............my friend is why you don't need to be using a....debit card..........there is something somewhere in the fine print that says they can do that..........good luck on getting it back.......these new devices are designed to separate us from our money faster than ever before............use the old fashioned way.......pay cash or check when bill is due............

At least with a credit card.....you can have a dispute until resolved........not the same with debit cards............and sometimes I have to make my money before I can pay them, when.........I...........decide not them.........(I work for myself) own a small business.....(so far) my go belly up this year, who knows...........but I wish you much luck in getting this resolved.............