The way I see it, liberals are either...?

Elitist - don't believe the common man has the ability to take care of himself, and it is thus their job to take care of him. Idealist - these types of liberals I can respect. They truly trust the government and actually believe in the goodness and effectiveness of big government. Lazy - they are the... show more Elitist - don't believe the common man has the ability to take care of himself, and it is thus their job to take care of him.

Idealist - these types of liberals I can respect. They truly trust the government and actually believe in the goodness and effectiveness of big government.

Lazy - they are the common man, and they don't want to work. They would rather rely on government handouts and Big Brother to take care of them.

I know I'm inviting hate comments, so go ahead. But to you idealists - politicians aren't like you. They are corrupt and just want to further their own agendas, and so it shall always be. The only thing to do is limit the power of government, and let men take care of themselves. Even if all liberal politicians were idealist and trustworthy, socialism and socialist policies still wouldn't work. The incentive to work wouldn't be there; read The Wealth of Nations.

What do all you guys believe, agree/disagree?
Update: Why heroic? Justify your position.
Update 2: Yeah naive is a big one, I fit them into the idealist category. It was kind of my politically correct way of also saying naive. Liberals - its fine with me if you don't agree with this, just tell me what you are then and justify it. Government health care is socialist - it will only end up hurting the... show more Yeah naive is a big one, I fit them into the idealist category. It was kind of my politically correct way of also saying naive.

Liberals - its fine with me if you don't agree with this, just tell me what you are then and justify it.

Government health care is socialist - it will only end up hurting the common man. Fine if the environment is your issue, I'm more addressing the age-old big government/ small government debate of liberals and conservatives.
Update 3: Geez, I'm not trying to name-call, I'm trying to categorize to discover a person's reasoning for being liberal. I am trying to use rational argument and I welcome people who disagree with me if they can also use rational argument and justify their position, unlike you, who just desired to criticize me... show more Geez, I'm not trying to name-call, I'm trying to categorize to discover a person's reasoning for being liberal. I am trying to use rational argument and I welcome people who disagree with me if they can also use rational argument and justify their position, unlike you, who just desired to criticize me rather than open up respectful debate.
Update 4: No, socialism in theory wouldn't be bad, & all that you said about government action sounds great. But in reality, it doesn't work, hence the idealism. 1-Government is corrupt, and everything it controls (post office, dmv, etc) turns out worse and is poorly managed. 2-Taxing the rich to try to help the poor... show more No, socialism in theory wouldn't be bad, & all that you said about government action sounds great. But in reality, it doesn't work, hence the idealism. 1-Government is corrupt, and everything it controls (post office, dmv, etc) turns out worse and is poorly managed. 2-Taxing the rich to try to help the poor only ends up hurting the poor, not the rich. The rich can afford to be taxed; they'll just stop creating jobs and buying things - its the poor who can't afford this: now they don't have a job
3-When government constantly gives you handouts, its just incentive to stay poor, and you start to rely on them. You won't work hard, because your basic needs are being met, & you now can't find a job anyway

I do believe in government action to bust trusts & regulate certain businesses, Teddy Roosevelt style, but there's a very fine line to how much power you can give government. As for achieving equal opportunity and equality, conservatives want this too; our means of achieving it just differ
Update 5: Thank you all for answering
Update 6: Note: I didn't mean this to be a "This is what all liberals are." post, I more wanted to hear all your opinions and see what you thought of mine.