Wendell asked in SportsBasketball · 1 decade ago

Why is it that Yao Ming turned out so tall? PLS answer.!?

Why is it that Yao Ming turned out so tall even though that his dad was 6 ft 7 and his mom is 6 ft 3? Also what height will I be? I'm 13 years old 5 ft 5 . My father is 5 ft 5 and my mother is 5 ft 4.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

@NBA: You're thinking of the wrong player. Yao Ming didn't have the tumor, it was Sun Ming-Ming, another Chinese basketball player. He's 3" taller than Yao Ming and had surgery in 2005 to remove the benign tumor.

Yao Ming benefited from genetics, both his parents are tall and former pro bball players, and he was nurtured by the Chinese government, which included going to a sports school.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I was 5'4" at 13 and I'm now 6'4" and my son is 13 at 5'5" so he'll clear 6 ft I'm sure. A thing I have my son do a couple of times a day is hang from a bar I put up in his room.

This serves to help him grow. You should try it. I also got him a bench(hang table) that hang him upside down by his feet. You can get one for $100 at a sporting goods store. I believe Yao Ming has a problem with his growth gland.

Source(s): A tall dad
  • 1 decade ago

Just genetics I guess, his father was 6 ft 7 in and his mom was 6 ft 3 in.

• Ethel
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

His sons will be tall. It's impossible to know how tall they will be and they are unlikely to be his height or much taller. Yao is at about the end of what is possible for human height. The only thing that is certain is that his children will have bum knees and the same height caused genetic problems Yao has.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

You idiots. It wasn't Genetics.

Haven't any of you watched the documentary on Yao's Brain Tumor?

Yao had a brain tumor that stopped him hitting puberty. He was 20 when doctors removed the tumor. He would have died by 25 otherwise. Google the article about Yao's tumor or search it on Youtube. Yao didn't get pubic hair, underarm hair, or a broken voice till the age of 20, it also disfunctioned the brain. His brain told his body to keep growing because of the tumor. Silly people it wasn't genetics.

Source(s): I have a Documentary about Yao's tumor. Email me anyone if they want me to send it to you via Email.
  • 1 decade ago

Genetics

• 1 decade ago

It's genetics man. You could get a gene from your great great uncle David that is 6'3"...

But if you read what you wrote... Hs dad is 6' 7"... that's really tall. His mom is 6'3" which is very very tall for a woman.

Tall people have tall or taller kids.

Short people have short or slightly taller kids.

So you could be basically taller than your parents... but if you get great great uncle David's gene you could be 6'1"/// who knows.

13 and 5'5" is a good start though.

• 3 years ago

Source(s): Grow Taller Exercise http://sparkindl.info/GrowTallerFast/?SJ3r
  • jeff
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

if your parents are tall chances are you will be too same as if they are short. but some things just happen. look at wilt chamberlain his parents were both shorter than 6 ft and he was 7'1.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

you might as well ask why do Zebras have stripes. There are all sorts of things that happen as a result of hidden genetics, hormones, childhood activity, etc.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.