Does the US recognize foreign titles of nobility during the naturalization process?

I know the US can not grant its own titles of nobility by constitution but can one retain the title if he/she becomes a US citizen? If no, please be specific and say per what law. There's a question asking whether I have a title of nobility in a foreign country on the naturalization form.

4 Answers

  • JerH1
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    The U.S. government doesn't recognize the titles; they have not control (or, really, interest) in whether the country that sponsors the title allows American citizens to hold it. There are numerous examples of, for example, members of British nobility who hold American or joint American-British citizenship. (One example is actor Christopher Guest, who holds dual citizenship and is a Baron in the U.K.).

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    The US will not recognize the title one you become American, as Americans cannot have titles. My guess is that they expect you to give it up.

    However, the country from which the title originates may well still recognize it. It puts a person in a bit of a quandary. Some countries will allow a person to use a "foreign" title, but the US does not.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    If the Duke of Wellington was to apply to become a US citizen he would no longer be the Duke of Wellington but Mr. Smith. Nobility titles do not convert in the US.

    Source(s): Bear
    • Login to reply the answers
  • merwin
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

    No way so which you would be able to get a SS# or replace into naturalized. you're right here illegally. the only thank you to benefit criminal status is to return on your homestead us of a and persist with to return back legally. in case you bypass away in the previous you turn 18 a million/2,you is easily no longer penalized for being right here illegally on the grounds which you have been a minor. in case you do no longer return by utilising that age,you're making the alternative as an grownup to forget approximately approximately our immigration regulations. you will then be concern to deportation and ban on returning. Your mom and dad did you no favors by utilising making you a criminal.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.