How would a Doctor determine if I had parkinsons?

as opposed to just simple anxiety? Parkinson's has afflicted some family members and I have reason to be concerned as I am experiencing some trembles in both of my wrists...and jerking in my fingers, your help will be much appreciated :)

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The first sign of Parkinson's in most people is a trembling hand. Later, the arms and legs may be affected. The jaw, tongue, eyelids, and forehead may also show signs of the condition. Tremors only appear at rest, and not when the person is making purposeful movements. About 25% of people with Parkinson's don't have tremors; rather, they find their limbs or other areas turning stiff or rigid. Most people, however, have both. The rigidity becomes worse as the disease progresses, making movement difficult.

The balance reflexes tend to become impaired, making it difficult to turn quickly or negotiate narrow corners and doorways. It's often hard to make an initial movement with the foot when wanting to walk.

The following symptoms are common in Parkinson's, though no one person will have all of them:

abnormal gait

decreased arm swing

excessive salivation

feelings of depression or anxiety

general slowness of movement

increase in dandruff or oily skin

lack of facial expression (hypomimia)

less frequent blinking and swallowing

lowered voice volume (hypophonia)

slight foot drag

slow reflexes if pushed off balance

small cramped handwriting (micrographia)

stiffness of limbs

stooped posture

tremor when resting

Depression is common in Parkinson's sufferers. People with Parkinson's run a higher risk of developing dementia, which often results in problems with memory or concentration similar to what is seen in Alzheimer's disease.

There's no definitive test for Parkinson's disease. Diagnosis is based purely on the symptoms and a physical examination. The fact that trembling in Parkinson's is at its worst when the muscles are resting distinguishes it from other kinds of tremors. People with Parkinson's also tend to have an odd gait or walk, which is stooped and shuffling with little or no spontaneous arm swinging.

Anyone who has Parkinson's will eventually end up taking a medication containing levodopa.* Dopamine, the substance that's in too-short supply for these sufferers, can't be given directly. It can't cross the blood-brain barrier, a lining that insulates the brain from the rest of the body. Levodopa does get into the brain, where it is converted to dopamine, which is then used to replace the missing dopamine and improve control of movements.

Levodopa has some drawbacks, however. After about 2 to 5 years on the drug, many people find that it has become less effective. They may suffer alternating bouts of disabling stiffness and uncontrolled movements called dyskinesias. Some doctors believe this is due to the levodopa and may wait to prescribe it until Parkinson's has progressed. Others argue that it's part of the natural process of the disease, and prescribe levodopa immediately to improve the patient's quality of life.

Levodopa can have other side effects, including hallucinations and nightmares. It's often given with another drug, such as carbidopa or benserazide, that allows smaller doses of levodopa to deliver more benefit.

Fortunately, new medications for Parkinson's are being released that may help people in addition to levodopa. These include bromocriptine, pergolide, pramipexole, and ropinirole. Rather than replacing dopamine, these drugs directly stimulate the areas that usually respond to dopamine.

For patients who have a hard time moving despite (or because of) levodopa, there are surgical options. Pallidotomy usually results in a temporary improvement that lasts for a number of years. On the other hand, it involves deliberately damaging part of the brainstem.

There are many busy avenues of research in Parkinson's - and some promising experimental results. Deep brain stimulation is an area of particular focus. An electrical charge is sent through a wire to the base of the brain. A small surgically implanted battery is at one end of the wire. Exactly where in the brain the other end should go is the subject of current research. Several areas have shown promise. Stimulation of the thalamus has been approved in the U.S. since 1997. It's effective for tremors but not for rigidity. Stimulating other parts of the brainstem may turn out to be more effective. However, there's a small risk of dangerous bleeding in the brain.

Regular exercise and physical therapy can help stave off loss of motor control. Keeping active and eating a good diet are vital in the management of Parkinson's disease.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

The Parkinson's Reversing Breakthrough?

• 1 decade ago

Im not sure how they would determine it . But I can tell you that alot of times it comes from

mercury poisoning. And I know this isnt the anwer you were asking for but I have had some hlep using nerve control and doing a heavy metal cleanse with someone I know.

My email is askrhonda@yahoo please email or give 2 famil if anyone wants free info on it ok

• mizer
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

i might flow to webmd and consider as much as achieveable approximately parkinson's ailment and likewise a circumstance undemanding as parkinsonism. those are 2 distinctive situations from what i comprehend. i might additionally anticipate your mom isn't an extremely youthful guy or woman so i might get her to a geriactic physician as they are very astute to elderly and their situations. as i reported, my first suggestion may well be to determine as much as achieveable approximately her indicators

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You can do it at home. Try to just spend some time relaxing, you know, forget about all your worries, take a hot bath, sleep, watch a movie, w/e, and if he whole time you're experiancing tremors I would go see a doctor.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

He would ask you: "do you have parkinson's?"

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.