How do I explain Homosexuality to my little brother?

How do I teach my little brother that homosexuals are regular people, who simply have different mating preferences? My father opposes homosexuality and constantly uses words as "fags" and "gay" as an insult, so I cannot consult my parents. My mother has had gay friends in the past, but feels it is not proper to educate my little brother about it. I don't want him to grow up with a narrow view on homosexuality. He began using "gay" as a derogatory term, and I tried to correct him. But he is fixed on the idea that being "gay" is wrong. He is 7, and I am 17. Please, I need advice on how to go about explaining this to him.

Favorite Answer

By role model - do you know any gay couples or can think of any famous gay couples who are people you could quote to your family as being amazing people who have achieved huge amounts etc. By a concrete example of gay people who are amazing you may better convince your brother than by words alone.