Need help with connecting outdoor light timer! Please help!?

First of all, I am not that strong with electrical work, but I thought I would give replacing my outdoor light timer a try. It is a dual switch with one switch controlling the outdoor lights (hooked up to the timer) and the other switch that controls our front hall light. Here is what I had before: Intermatic... show more First of all, I am not that strong with electrical work, but I thought I would give replacing my outdoor light timer a try. It is a dual switch with one switch controlling the outdoor lights (hooked up to the timer) and the other switch that controls our front hall light. Here is what I had before:

Intermatic timer with 3 wires coming out of the back (black, blue & red). The black wire was connected to another black wire. The blue wire was connected to a second black wire. The red wire was not connected to anything (was this the grounded wire?).

With the new GE timer, it actually had FOUR wires coming out the back (black, red, white & green). I connected the black wire to the same black wire that the Intermatic timer was hooked up to. I connected the red wire to the second black wire. The white wire in the instructions was labeled as "neutral" and the diagram led me to believe that it should be connected with the red wire to the second black wire. The green wire was the grounded wire, so I didn't connect it to anything.

The old intermatic timer wasn't working anymore as the outdoor lights would not even get turned off manually. When I connected the GE timer, the outdoor lights were on when I connected it, but I could not turn them off manually.

I realize I am an amateur, but would love someone's help! THANKS!!!
1 answer 1