LGBT: I fancy my friend, but it'll be so hard to tell her, any advice?

About 6 months ago, my best friend admitted she liked me, as more than a friend. I didn’t feel the same way, but didn’t want to hurt her feelings by saying so flat-out. I told her I wasn’t sure, and could she give me a week to think? It was meant to stay secret, but she had told me by writing a very sad poem about... show more About 6 months ago, my best friend admitted she liked me, as more than a friend. I didn’t feel the same way, but didn’t want to hurt her feelings by saying so flat-out. I told her I wasn’t sure, and could she give me a week to think? It was meant to stay secret, but she had told me by writing a very sad poem about falling for your best friend... and posted it on the internet. I thought it was really sweet, and said that in a comment. At the time I was too oblivious to realise she meant me >.< I only realised a few hours later. Eventually, some of our other friends saw it and started making fun of her, a lot, and me for thinking anything ‘lesbian’ was sweet. So when it got really bad and she seemed upset, we’d both just walk away. BUT then they started asking us (very loudly) if we were going out, soon practically the whole school thought the fact we WERE dating was fact. I couldn’t take it and distanced myself from her, and all the friends followed me.

I still feel so awful about that, but she forgave me, we are friends again, put it behind us and she has said that she doesn’t feel that way anymore. Those ‘friends’... we don’t call them friends any more.

HERE is the problem (finally! Sorry bout all that reading). I’m pretty sure I really like her now. I get the irony here, missed my chance :( I keep daydreaming about kissing her. I’m starting to feel awkward talking to her about anything but mindless stuff. I’m not sure if she likes me... but she hasn’t dated anyone or commented that she likes anyone since me. When I give her compliments, she seems really happy, more so than when other people do. I’ve been on holiday with her twice to a house her family rents near the coast, once before she confessed and once after. She said she thinks it’s so much better when I go as well, and she hates going without me. Then again, the town is pretty empty, and going out there by yourself or with your parents would be quite boring... There are more things, but this is MORE than long enough already.

Should I tell her how I’m feeling? And, any tips on how to bring it up? We’re both very shy and embarrass quite easily, I think that’s why she confessed online. I’d rather say it to her face, but I tried once before about a week ago and completely wussed out. HELP!!!