Good comedy books/novels?

What are your favorite comedy books/novels?

Can you tell me the name, author , and a brief description of the plot?

Im looking forward to reading them :)

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I like Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novels, about an incompetent bounty hunter from New Jersey, who always gets her man, often by luck as much as anything else. Theya re very funny with good characters, crazy plots, and some romantic interest. You do not really have to read them in any particular order, the first one, One For The Money, is actually rather less funny and more violent than most of the others. The series gets funnier as it progressses, by the fourth book, Four to Score, it has settled into being almost pure comedy.

If you enjoy comic fantasy, you might like jasper Fforde's Thursday next series, which are set in a sort of crazy alternative reality where people can go into books and interact with the characters. The first one is called The Eyre Affair. They are rather like Alice in Wonderland for adults.

Another good comedy fantasy writer is Terry Pratchett, whose Discworld series is very good. You do not have to read them in any particular order, though the first one, The Colour of Magic, is a very good one. I am particularly fond of the ones about the witch Granny Weatherwax, the first one of which is Equal Rites.

For non-fiction comedy I recommend the books of P.j. O'Rourke, which are absolutely hilarious I think. I particularly like Holidays In Hell, Give War A Chance, All the Trouble In The World, and Eat The Rich.

A very short but extremely funny book is My Life And Hard Times by James Thurber, his hilarious book about his eccentric family and growing up in the early 1900s.

My Family And Other Animals, by Gerald Durrell, is his very funny book about life with his eccentric family on Corfu in the 1930s.

Three Men In A Boat is a very old-fashioned book, first published in 1888, but still very funny I think, about three men going on a boating holiday on the Thames and all the things that go wrong with it.

P.G. Wodehouse wrote many comic novels, mostly about eccentric english aristocrats, though some of the books have american heroes. I think Hot Water is a particularly funny one which you might enjoy. A young American man ends up pretending to be a French aristocrat in order to help a girl he meets.

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons is a very funny book, first published in 1930, about a girl who goes to live with her eccentric relatives in Sussex, and sorts out all their chaotic lives. The book was written as a sort of satire on the novels of rural life that were very popular in the early 1900s.

Robert Benchley is an hilarious writer who wrote many short articles which are still very funny to read today. There are many different collections of his works.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

COMEDY

Diary of a Wimpy Kid Series- Jeff Kinney

It’s summer vacation, the weather’s great, and all the kids are having fun outside. So where’s Greg Heffley? Inside his house, playing video games with the shades drawn.

Greg, a self-confessed “indoor person,” is living out his ultimate summer fantasy: no responsibilities and no rules. But Greg’s mom has a different vision for an ideal summer . . . one packed with outdoor activities and “family togetherness.”

Whose vision will win out? Or will a new addition to the Heffley family change everything?

Sleeping With The Fishes – MaryJanice Davidson

Fred is not your ordinary mermaid. She's not blonde. She's not buxom. And she's definitely not perky. In fact, Fred can be downright cranky. And it doesn't help matters that her hair is blue.

While volunteering at the New England Aquarium, Fred learns that there are weird levels of toxins in the local seawater. A gorgeous marine biologist wants her help investigating. So does her merperson ruler, the High Prince of the Black Sea. You'd think it would be easy for a mermaid to get to the bottom of things. Think again.

Undead Series – MaryJanice Davidson

Betsy Taylor--former model, newly unemployed secretary, 30, and still single--wakes up after being flattened by a small SUV in a tacky coffin wearing cheap knock-off shoes. Her mother is glad she is back, albeit as a vampire, but her stepmother is enraged that Betsy has reclaimed her designer-shoe collection. With a wealthy best friend and a newly acquired doctor pal who is not susceptible to her formidable allure, she sets out to right wrongs but is abducted by Nostro, a tacky 500-year-old vampire who rules the undead roost. It seems that Betsy is an anomaly: a vampire who doesn't burn in sunlight, can fight the urge to feed, and is not repulsed by religious articles, all of which may make her the prophesied Queen of the Vampires. Teaming up with gorgeous vampire Eric Sinclair, who is in her opinion a major pervert, she takes on Nostro and his minions. Sexy, steamy, and laugh-out-loud funny, Davidson's chick-lit foray into the paranormal is delightful.

• 1 decade ago

Joan Hess's Maggody books are just laugh out loud funny. The central character is a female police chief in a small Arkansas town peopled by the greatest collection of oddball characters ever to be found in a small town.

Here they are in order:

Malice in Maggody ‘87

Mischief in Maggody ‘88

Much Ado in Maggody ‘89

Madness in Maggody ‘90

Mortal Remains in Maggody ‘91

Maggody in Manhattan ‘92

O Little Town of Maggody ‘93.......CHRISTMAS

Martians in Maggody ‘94

Miracles in Maggody ‘95

The Maggody Militia ‘97

Misery Loves Maggody ‘99

Murder @ Maggody.com ‘00

Maggody and the Moonbeams ‘01

Muletrain to Maggody ‘03

Malpractice in Maggody ‘06

The Merry Wives of Maggody '10

• Alice
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. Set in New Orleans, it won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction. Inspired lunacy, the book is anchored by one of America's greatest fictional characters: Ignatius J. Reilly. A bronze statue has been erected of him on the New Orleans sidewalk where he is first introduced in the book. An interesting footnote: Mr. Toole committed suicide 11 years before the book was published. If it hadn't been for his mother's indefatigable efforts following her son's death, it is unlikely the world would ever have seen such a wonderfully funny and sad book.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Que tal, chiquita?

Tim Dorsey writes a series of books about a loony, I mean a dangerously crazy guy named Serge Storms (storm surge?). Serge has declared war on unscrupulous real estate developers in Florida, and he's winning, at least in the books. The first book, "Florida Roadkill" is so funny, you may plotz, at least a little!

http://timdorsey.com/chronology.html

Another Floridian, Carl Hiaasen, has written any number of books about funny doings in the Sunshine State, including several books for YA (Young adult) readers.

http://www.carlhiaasen.com/books.html

• guarin
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

My admired series of all time is Island. it truly is a the two 3 or 4 e book series, and written by utilising Gordon Korman. it truly is an exceedingly ordinary study, and the books are extremely short, yet very exciting.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.