Ken asked in TravelEurope (Continental)Poland · 1 decade ago

Why do Poles stare at Asians?

I went to Poland with my Asian (Korean American) friend, and was very surprised to see Polish people in the streets were looking at him SO HARD! Thus he said that he was so stressed out while he stayed in Warsaw, Poland.

I'm just curious why Poles stare at Asians... Would that be so unusual for Poles to see Asians?

Interestingly, it NEVER happened to him in Prague, Czech Republic or Budapest, Hungary...

Favorite Answer

I agree with Wojciech Jaruzelski he is 100 % correct that also is the rason Polish have problems with all neighbour countries.

@ ? oh you deny Polish hate Germans and Russians and feel superior to Ukraineans and Lithuanians I guess you do not live in Europe if you ignore this since every single European knows it ?

What's up with those thumbs downs? Are Polish people really that hated!? I'm half Polish btw.

I agree with Wojciech Jaruzelski.

We have a big racism problem.

poland doesn't have a high asian population and therefore asian exotic looks would stand out. maybe poland isn't as polite as her neighbors.

Hey! I bet it was the older generation, well to them exotic people stand out, but to tell you the truth when I was in Poland, Warsaw I saw quite alot of Asians and Blacks and I didn't exactly notice people staring at them, only some messed up in the head old bags, but Poland is a very polite country overall so I wouldnt imagine racism going on there..

I used to live in Warsaw for 7 years there was that place a stadium where every day from like 5am till 11am people will put their little tables and sell clothes,perfumes,cosmetics,cd you name it, for really cheap price cause they would bring that from china or some other place and sell it some times without any tax it was like a market and 60% of sellers standing there every day with their little table were asians 30% russians and 10% actually polish. so I know that people in warsaw always looked at them little weird. when you look at it nobody likes emigrants I get weir looks in USA to from some people. so maybe they thought that he's an emigrant not just a tourist?

Do they? I never do.

because the majority of people in Poland are white , and seeing an asian on the street is unusual.

Well, to be fair, majority of the population in Poland is white/caucasian. I spent last summer there with my Polish boyfriend and we made a game out of the number of people giving me "looks" as we went from one city to another, more out of curiousity than hostility though. From what I can recall, big known cities such as Warszawa & Kraków weren't as bad as, say, Poznań. Though it must be said, I did receive friendly smiles and gestures in spite of my uncommon ethnicity (the immigration officer said my Bruneian passport was the first he has seenin 12 years) and the language barrier.

I suppose being there for 2 weeks or so, I've gotten immune to it. All in all, it was a great holiday for me!