How old was the Perry Mason character?

How old was the character that Raymond Burr (Perry Mason) played on the Perry Mason show?

• Mr Ed
    Favorite Answer

I'm a big fan of the books, by Erle Stanley Gardner.

In the books, Perry Mason is most surely in his 30s, probably mid 30s. (I know he's older than 29, but I don't believe he is yet 40.)

On the TV show, Raymond Burr portrayed a slightly older Perry Mason (because Burr was older). Burr was born in 1917, making him about about 39 when Perry Mason first began, around 1956.

• meat

Raymond Burr played a 30ish year old Perry Mason.

If you follow the series, he was a young man who was part of the D-Day invasion (they don't say where, but he's also somehow related to the merchant marines). As most D-Day men were around the age of 18 or older, and the TV series takes place in the between 1957 and 1966 (and Paul Drake had EVERY cool sports car produced during that time. I loved his T-birds and his Corvette!), which is 13+ years after D-Day, that makes Perry in his 30s.

Source(s): I'm a screenwriter.
  • ?

The character's age is never addressed in the novels.