FAA airman certificate question- I had a private instrument and did multi engine training in US, but only VFR?

The thing is that on my provisional certificate it said ASEL instrument AMEL (VFR ONLY).

BUT I got my license in the mail and it says AMEL ASEL instrument, the VFR only limitation for AMEL doesnt appear. I got this about a year ago and I'm starting flight training again to get commercial. Will I have any problems and what should I do.

6 Answers

  • RickH
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer


    In fact your certificate should say Airplane Multiengine Land (VFR Only). Your chances of getting caught are slim; however, if you were to be involved in an accident or incident, and someone started looking, then it could get ugly. Especially if you were actually operating a multiengine airplane under IFR. Since your current certificate is not a valid one, anything that you do in the future could also be negated.

    I would recommend that you contact your nearest FSDO, and present your certificate, logbook, training records, etc. They will make the appropriate correction. So long as you haven't operated under IFR in a multiengine airplane, there will be no repercussions to you at all. Just say something like, "I just last week noticed that ..."

  • 1 decade ago

    An ASEL will never be issued with any limitations. As far as I know the only AMEL limitation you'll ever see is for center line thrust if you take your check ride in something like a 337 or Adams 500.

    You will have no problems. There is no instrument rating requirement to get your commercial, so even if for some reason there was a problem with that (which it doesn't sound like there is) it wouldn't affect you getting your commercial.

  • sarno
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

    rather you need to try this, yet why spend extra suitable than two times the cost of a single engine coach just to putt around the airport landing trend shooting touch-and-is going. Your first 50-60 hours of flight preparation is merely trouble-free airmanship and no want for the extra fee or hassle of a multi-engine airplane. as quickly as you have won your inner maximum pilot's license and are waiting to flow as much as extra complicated and intense-overall performance airplane you are able to think of approximately getting a multi-engine certification.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    The "secret" is in the way it's worded... If you had unrestricted IFR privileges it would read "ASEL, AMEL, Instrument-Airplane", as it is, the "ASEL Instrument, AMEL" entry allows you IFR privileges ASEL only...

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    ME is now issued with demonstrated proficiency under IMC conditions (hence the VFR only); you should check with the DPE who issued it.

  • 1 decade ago

    As long as it doesn't say VFR only on your multi certificate you should be fine.

    Source(s): CFI
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.