Mouse Double Clicking on Single Click?

This started happening out of nowhere. I click on a folder for a second and all of a sudden it opened the folder. and then I would hold down the left mouse button and it would open the folder without double-clicking but just by holding the button down. I can't move folders into other folders not because of... show more This started happening out of nowhere. I click on a folder for a second and all of a sudden it opened the folder. and then I would hold down the left mouse button and it would open the folder without double-clicking but just by holding the button down. I can't move folders into other folders not because of this. I tried searching on the internet but can't find a clear answer. I also tried to go into control panel and slowing the mouse double click speed down but it didn't work. please help.
Update: it also only does this every other click I tried the advice from the answers below but nothing has worked. could it be a virus or something wrong with the mouse?