Christian and Practicing Martial Arts?

I am an Animal Control Officer and work alone 99 percent of the time. Can a Christian practice and use martial arts or must we turn the other cheek?

Thanks,

John Runer

I have faced and angry dog owner with a psitol and a record! having to kill a man over a dog issue is a deep concern. I have a family that wants me to come home though.

Favorite Answer

Do Martial arts even work on animals? Did David turn the other cheek When confronted by Goliath?

Source(s): Chuck Norris does my laundry

1. Martial Arts is a form of self-defense which is permitted in the Bible.

2. "Turn the other cheek" doesn't mean what people think it does. What Christ was saying was to stand up to the aggressor. In that time and place, when you insulted a person, you would back hand them across the face. If the person was intimidated, he walked away. If he was standing up to the aggressor, he would turn the other cheek. THAT would force the aggressor to slap him with the same hand but open handed. That was a sign of respect.

Jesus never intended for people to be abused, hurt or killed without defending themselves. Losing material possessions is one thing and nothing to worry about. Health and safety are quite another thing.

Source(s): Master's Degree in World Religion/History
  • Donna

Yes. Why not? There is nothing wrong with Christians being physically fit? Think about opposite - fat and unhealthy and high bloo pressure, diabetes... There is nothing unChristian about using your strength or ability to defend yourself. If a defenceless woman/child is being attacked, how would you help them without being injured yourself? You have to know techniques of self defence! Apostle Paul shook the serpent off his arm, didn't he? That's self defense (LOL)! Martial arts is only a more effective means of physical self defence and that doesn't preclude a Christian from using it.

• ?

That's a very good question. I would argue, based on Romans 14:13 and the Lord's Prayer, that you are "not to put a stumbling block or a cause to fall in our brother's way" or be led into temptation (i.e. don't create a situation where someone is likely to commit violence against you or in which you are tempted to commit violence). Essentially, do what any self-defense instructor would tell you to do: exhaust every peaceful course of action before resorting to violence as a means of self-defense. That being said, as long as you have exhausted all peaceful options, martial arts training will enable you to survive altercations and defend yourself in a manner that does not permanently disable or kill your assailant.

its always best to avoid the fight, but as far as martial arts go i train for awhile, and i must say some martial arts are demonic and a lot of people dont know that, im always careful who i train with cuz theirs some crazy stuff out there, like people using magic, be careful who you train with because you can open doors for spirits to come in, and yes I've seen it happen. but not all martial arts are demonic.

lets just say some Martial arts have a dark side i hope your aware of that. o yea and read sum of my source too at the bottom. dont care if i get thumbs down, im just telling you what i know and experience.

Totally compatible. Also remember most martial arts are for self defense or the defense of an innocent only and not to initiate aggression.

As a former AC I know martial arts can be quite handy to know.

I am a Christian, yet I have my black belt in Kung Fu, and am going through a second time and am on my green belt. There is this FANTASTIC place in Kansas City, MO (actually Raytown) that puts Jesus first, we pray in class, the teacher preaches in class, this man has not hurt or been touched in 30 years, all with the help of Jesus. Contact me if it is possible for you to come, and if you are interisted at tristenc14@yahoo.com.

I hope this helps.

God Bless

Yes, you most defineitly can practice Martial arts, I am Christan and go to MMA class all the time, It is used for self defence but if it is used for hurting other people then its a sin. I have hurt people with the skills i have learned but i can control myself.

Good Luck

• yesmar

'Turning the other cheek' is a character attribute that we as Christians are to make part of our character. It does not always fit every circumstance though, especially in this modern era. I see no contradiction in being a Christian and practicing the arts of self defense for ones own safety, or to be used in the defense of others. Thanks for asking.

Martial Arts is a very good discipline and is to be used to deafen one self. I actually think you will be a better Christian because of your training.