eastside1728 asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

what age can you bath a toy fox terrier puppy?

When is it possible to bath a toy fox terrier puppy?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Lizzie
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

You can bathe (not "bath") a puppy of any age past weaning provided you are very careful and gentle. Use very mild puppy shampoo, comfortably warm water, and expect to have a wet mess to clean up afterwards from splashing and when the pup shakes the water off. Wear old clothes. Be sure to rinse all of the shampoo off the pup or it can make him/her itchy. Towel the puppy well and the dry him or her completely, using a hair dryer set on Low. Keep your hand in the air stream to be sure it doesn't get too hot for the puppy.

• 1 decade ago

Grooming for the Wire Fox Terrier, should start very early in life. He will need to except someone working on his coat all of his life. For the Smooth Fox Terrier, it will be much easier, but they still need to learn to hold still for a bath and toenails done. Most owners don't realize how important it is to start very early with a puppy.

More grooming tips here, http://is.gd/5Jgut

• You dont really need to bath your dog unless you are showing him/her or if you have signs of fleas, ticks, a lot of dirt and a stench. I usually bath my dog like 1 a month or maybe 1 time evry 2 months in the winter. HE has short hair so he's easy to clean up after. Just amke sure you groom ehr EVERY day though. If you reallyw ant to bath her I say start when she is use to you and her surodings, when she is use to water and likes it.

1.) Test her, lay a bucket of water on the ground see what she does.

2.) make the bucket of water only 1 inch - 2inches high

3.) put her in it, if she is calm and okay tehn she is ready for a bath, if she sint wait a week,

4.) if she still doesnt like it teach her to like it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Didn't you just ask this question earlier?

Bathing dogs often causes skin conditions.

5 times a year is plenty, with DOG shampoo.

I would wait until pup was 12-14 weeks at least. A bath is stressful for a pup. Not fun.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • LYNN W
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

usually you wouldn't want to bathe a puppy until after the umbilical cord has fallen off. You don't want to use any pesticides on the pup until after 12 weeks of age unless with vet approval.

• 1 decade ago

i have the same kind of dog and i started giving him a bath when he was 5 months

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

any age

but to avoid complications you need to be sure the water is warm, you dry him well and use a very mild shampoo! dont let him get chilled!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.