? asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 1 decade ago

Difference between asian and chinese food?

my friend is wondering if their is a difference between asian food and chinese food, and idk the answer. anyone know?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Chinese IS Asian, however, Asian doesn't necessarily mean Chinese. There are several kinds of Asian foods, such as Chinese, Japanese, Thai, etc.

• 2cents
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Asian is a very broad term. Asian includes basically any food native to countries of Asia. This includes Thai, Chinese, Japenese, Vietnamese, Indian, Russian etc.

Asian is used by restaurants as a general term to indicate that it serves stereotypical asian cuisine like egg rolls, orange chicken, beef and broccoli etc.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Your going to want to be more specific with your question.

Asian is a broad category term that includes Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, etc... (pretty much middle and eastern countries)

So if you trying to compare asian cuisine with chinese food, obviously there are going to be massive differences

• 1 decade ago

Chinese is one type of Asian food.

Asian foods can include Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc.

Hope I helped :D

Source(s): Had the same confusion once
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Great Q.... Chinese food in the USA was primarily Cantonese style until approx. 1970s when more varieties of chinese cooking styles were exported & exposed to us here. China is a very huge nation with many regional & ethnic styles of cooking. Now, besides Cantonese, there is Shanghai style, Sichuan, Jiangxi cuisine w/in Sichuan, Muslim style, etc.... I have not tried them all but I would like to.

Asian foods covers all the foods in all the other Asian nations as well as China. And even in these countries - there are regional varieties. So - there will be different styles of Thai cooking, Northern & Southern styles of Vietnamese cooking, an impressive array of cooking styles from India....

One could spend a lifetime just sampling the wonderous foods & cooking styles of Asia & China. It would certainly be fun trying.

• 1 decade ago

Asian would include all types of cuisine from Asian countries i.e. Japanese, Thai, Korean... Chinese just includes specific recipes from China

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Asian food is inida, thai, korean, japanese, chinese,philipines, Then different city makes different way.

Chinese food is a lot garbage to Chinese, this is not to put down the Chinese, Even Mexicans I talk to, they told me tacos and burritos is crap,compare to real Mexican food and Chinese food. Real Chinese food American won't eat them, so the new comer work in the kitchen learn to make garbage, This why I said garbage in, garbage out.

• 1 decade ago

The difference lies in politically correct (PC) speech.

Chinese labor came to USA to support labor force in building railroads. Eventually, they got into two major businesses: Laundry and Restaurants

They were called 'Orientals'. The restaurants were listed as 'Oriental restaurants'. The food was called oriental food. The 'oriental race' was described as yellow people with slanted eyes. People lived in a race based culture. Whites were nation based, but colored folks were described by race. Blacks were Neagrow in United States, Indians were called 'Coolie'.

As the time passed, nationalism beacame more important. Racial relationship was no longer politically acceptable. The British empire was dying. Oriental food became Chinese Food, Neagrow food became soul food and then black food, Coolie food became Indian food. Finally, food was assoiciated with the nations such as French food, Italian food, or German food. This marked the end of British empire and their habit of identifying foods by race and religion. Now all the foods were identified by nations.

Then there would come another political correctness to identify foods with region globally. Chinese Japanese Korean and Vietnamese foods became Asian. French, German, and Italian beame European. Indian Pakistani Bangladeshi and Siri Lamka became South Asian. Then we would have South American foods, etcetera

Political correctness may be useful, but it hides the true nature of the foods.

Oriental food is Chinese food is Asian food. All Asian food is not Chinese,or Oriental food.

The race culture and religion are still kept hidden in these new politically correct phrases. India is in Asia, but cuisine is not Asian, it is South Asian instead

To answer your query, Chinese food is Asian, but not all Asian foods are Chinese

Politiacally correct Yahoo made me misspell the word as Neagrow

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Asian refers to all the asian countries within Asia; all the Asian food in general.

Chinese food refers to the food in China. (China is in Asia) It's their own dish.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Difference between asian and chinese food?

my friend is wondering if their is a difference between asian food and chinese food, and idk the answer. anyone know?

Source(s): difference asian chinese food: https://tr.im/qVKRQ
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.