Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsHorses · 1 decade ago

Any advice on tb? preferably experienced.?

I'm looking to purchase a tb I've found one which seems to be lovely, I dont have much experience with them but enough for now. I've been told they can be hot blooded and very difficult to bond with what does anybody else think? And having only ridden very few tb's could anybody else tell me what their experiences are? And any particular things/traits to do with tb?

Anything is appreciated :)

thanks :)

Favorite Answer

ive got an OTT tb mare, they are all different, so there is no exact answer to your question, but i have found that many of them are calm (many people think they are hot headed because they only see them at the tracks, they rarely see them at the barn where is all quiet and peaceful). Some of them are hot headed, my mare has her moments when she just want to gallop, gallop and gallop, but then other days shes such a plod that i have to keep waking her up whilst walking along! Tb's bond just as well as any other horse, you may not personally get a long with the particular tb, but somebody else might, it all depends on you and the horse. I get along great with my mare, she has her moments when shes a right little madam- but what horse doesn't? Some tb's need to be ridden nearly everyday, others don't, some do because tb's are very intelligent and need to be stimulated to keep out of trouble- like a collie dog! Others prefer a quieter life and don't require daily exercise, but it all depends on the horse your looking at. Many tb's box-walk/weave, jog, crib-bites, wind suck etc because many of them are racehorses that are stables most of the day with lots of high energy food, so they get bored and these habits develop. However it isn't just a Tb trait, many people think it is, but put any other breed into their situation and im sure they will develop the same habits! Tb's are very athletic- even the lazy ones- and will excel at pretty much any discipline you turn them to! They make great jumpers, eventers, dressage horses, trail horses etc, its just finding a discipline that suits you both!

It all basically comes down to the individual horse, its needs and you, i hope you find everything your looking for, they are amazing animals with a lot to give!

• A lot of those stereotypes are referring to OTTBs, because they usually come out of racing with a lot of mental issues. Not that they can't be retrained, but it's difficult.

My TB is not an off the track horse, and I don't find him different from any other breed. He doesn't seem difficult to bond with; he's like a big puppy. He loves people a bit TOO much; I usually have to work on getting him out of my space. I don't know if all TB's do it, but he's very pushy.

As for the whole hot blooded thing; I know that lots of people refer to tb's as a hot breed. While this may be true, all of the TB's I know that are kept in work and not overfed are actually pretty chill. I know a girl with a 6 y/o tb who's practically bombproof, and she teaches lessons on him. Although I think that's a bit of an exception :

And with feeding grain... my TB and the bomproof 6 y/o both get two large scoops of oats and barley, and they're far from hot. I guess that stuff varies.

Every horse is different, but I personally love my 22 yr old TB Mare. She is very affectionate and closely bonded with me, but that is because I've shown her I'm a good leader and she respects and trusts me. She is very standoffish with people she doesn't know. She was raced, so she still likes to "go," but when I was working her regularly I was able to ride her bareback with loose reins. She is also fairly bombproof and doesn't bat an eye at things that would scare and spook other horses.

TBs do tend to have thin, sensitive skin and have a harder time keeping on weight than some other breeds. My own horse tends to be a little accident prone and has lots of scars from cuts and scrapes, but that might just be her. It also can't be denied that almost all TBs are athletic. When it comes down to it, the pros out weight the cons as far as I'm concerned. I think one generalization you can make about the temperament of the breed is that if they respect/trust you, they will do anything for you, and give you their all.

If you've test ridden the horse you're looking at, and you like him/her and determined they would be a good match for your riding ability, then go for it. :-)

Source(s): Owned a TB for 10 years.
  • ?

I didn't used to like TBs... thought that they were all hot and rather extreme in their reactions.

Then I learned how to actually ride, and my mind is forever changed. I have a lot of experience with TBs and my best conclusion is that if you respect that they are very physically sensitive (usually) then you will not have an issue. They will bond very very well with someone who appreciates that they are not just prissy and snotty, and that their objections to rough (what they consider rough) treatment are genuine. They do not lie, nor are they lazy or want to get out of work.

For someone with no experience around TBs, I would say that if you start firmly, but lightly, that is the best approach. They have very thin skin, and they actually do feel things more intensely than many other breeds. So keep that in mind. Use a very soft brush, when you are grooming, watch for signs that your horse is not enjoying your attention (fly muscle twitching, tail swishing, etc etc). Accommodate this, change to even gentler methods, and don't react timidly. Just be matter of fact.

Do the same when riding. Ask gently, see what the response is. Fine tune.

The easiest TBs to work with, IMO, have been off the track. They have a very workmanlike attitude, and they tend to be happier than their never-been-raced cousins. Yes, they sometimes come with stable vices (weaving, stall walking, wind sucking) - but so do other horses.

TBs are very intelligent. They learn quickly, and the mares especially have an great ability to anticipate requests - I rode one who learned her dressage tests better than I could.

The question to ask yourself, as with any horse, is what is your level of horsemanship? If you cannot work this horse as well as you would like, do you have qualified help?

You can keep TBs off the grain, and they are more likely to be calmer.

In all, I love TBs - they are like the Cadillacs of the horse breeds. Very finely tuned. Lovely.

well TB's are hot blooded-they're a hot blooded breed. i personally love TB's, but i love high spirited, high energy, high attitude, high personality horses. if that's what you like, go for it. i had an extremely hard time bonding with my horse the first couple of months-we despised each other. it was bad. but given time, we're so close. our bond is amazing. i'm not saying that's the case with all TB's, just mine. also, not every TB is going to be high spirit. some are really calm, it's just a generalization.

hmm..anything particular...well, a lot of them are pretty hard to keep weight on. my gelding drops weight fast, but puts it back on really easy. so if i notice him getting thin, i can normally get it back on really quickly. some are near impossible in winter time. TB's can tend to be more expensive horses, just because how much work goes into putting weight on them. most horses you throw them out there with some hay, maybe some grain, and they're fine. not most TB's

all in all, just be prepared for a lot of energy. not every TB has that energy, but most do.

I have been around thoroughbreds, off the track and on, for years. While growing up, if you TB has been raced, they are never really looked at as animals with feeling. So people just don't really get involved with bonding with them. Thoroughbreds have respect issues alot of times. You cannot baby your them like other horses and give them peppermints just for the heck of it. Some you can though. Most do not cross tie and are used to being tied in a stall. They are used to you picking their feet by just standing on one side of them. Don't tighten their girth very much until after you get them in the arena and about to mount. They are not used to mounting blocks and always have the jockeys get a leg up. However, some thoroughbreds are different and doing any of this stuff differently will not bother them. Every horse is different. Just like people. That is all the stuff about OTTB so if the one you want has been worked with for years after the track and has been retrained then it might not be like that.

Be your self and no longer so anxious. It's only a woman. If you look anxious or determined it may not be as amusing. Play video video games if she likes the ones. Other than that speak to her. And honestly pay attention. Seem interested with out being over interested. You can play video games on the mall too. Like it could sound kinda dull however it is whatever that may be amusing. Like an I secret agent recreation for humorous matters you notice. Or attempt to uncover the ugliest blouse at the rack. Just whatever so you're speaking and placing out in combination with out the stress of so what do you cherish to do? It's regularly a bit of atypical for a primary date making an attempt to determine what to speak approximately that is not all approximately your self. It's nearly like you are on trial. Just have amusing..... Don't freak!!! And hi there she ought to such as you if she agreed to move with you so loosen up and do some thing you have got been doing all alongside...and you recognize possibly three years in the past she had different pursuits in brain. I would not even ask approximately that becuase some thing it was once you do not desire to remind her approximately why she stated no within the first position... It sounds such as you quite like her and possibly good a bit of over bearing which might have scared her. Girls like while they're preferred and well-liked however in all honesty do not quite like while a man bends over backwards and treats flawlessly. It can flip a lady off or take capabilities of you as an alternative. Sure open a door however do not run forward of her to hurry to that door. GOOD LUCK!!!

I just got my TB in June, and he hadn't been handled in over two years. Because he was TB I was expecting some of the things you were asking about, but as it turns out he is very level headed and loves attention. He whinnies when he sees me coming to the barn (probably just because I usually bring him food, lol). But it really depends on the individual horse. You usually cannot generalize about a certain breed because all horses have their own personalities and backgrounds that make them how they are. But in my experience, both of my TBs were level headed and very loving.

Source(s): I have two TBs