I love the Hawaiian culture. How can I find out more about it?

Israel 'IZ' Kamakawiwo'ole's song, "Over The Rainbow" is like the best song ever! I love the Hawaiian culture, I love the beach, I love acoustic&Ukele music, I love the sun, it's like I wish I was born in Hawaii. I want to move there so badly, or at least near a beach. Where can I find out more about the Hawaiian culture?

I don't know why Y!Answers put this question here lol.

Favorite Answer

Try getting a job there for a few years and you will learn first hand. Not rocket science but it does work.

I moved to Hawaii when I was 10 years old and moved back to California at 16 because my family couldn't handle the racism anymore. I have a wonderful family and we are all very warm, so it wasn't on our end. Locals are very prejudice against non-locals (especially Whites) because of Hawaii's history. Queen Liliuokalani was overthrown and the Hawaiians were forced to live the way the foreigners lived. Hawaiian's have a racist term for foreigners which I recommend you become acquainted with, the word is 'Haole', meaning 'foreigner' or 'without breath'. There is a day called "Kill Haole Day" which is the day that the foreigners overthrew the queen. I recommend you don't show up to school that day if you are a foreigner. I had friends that were thrown in trash cans and beaten harshly. In a high school called Waianae high school (in the more ghetto part of Oahu), the locals (Hawaiians, Phillipino's, and Samoans have riots in the gyms at lunch in the local public high school, they lock everyone else out the gym. It is a way of life in Hawaii to be very territorial, even violent.

When we moved there we thought everything would be wonderful, we quickly learned that there were underlying problems. Now I live in California and have for about two years now, and I don't plan on ever returning. I am a very warm, gracious, and kind person. And even for me I felt that life in a Hawaii was a constant struggle. I felt glaring eyes and hate coming at me from all directions. The racism is very real there, and is a bigger problem than anywhere I have seen. I'm a world class traveler, mind you.

I recommend that you study the history of Hawaii before you go there so that you understand the ins and outs of the culture. Know before you go.

Best Wishes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPKH_94jix4

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB9zinRApSk

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8BscCSEr-Y

Youtube thumbnail

Source(s): Lived in Hawaii for 5 years.

Uh........golly-gee-willikers......I dunno.......maybe........

GOOGLE IT?

I would say go on Wiki pedia first thing and learn as much as you can. then maybe go to hawaii and try to make friends. ask about hawiian culture and you might even learn about some folk lore, which I think you night enjoy. =)

Oh, and that was a cover of the song from the Wizard of Oz. =)

GOOGLE.COM!!!!