Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 decade ago

I want to move to America..?

Me and my best friend are thinking about moving to America after we're finished university (We live in England at the moment).. I have family in Texas and Boston but she doesn't have any shes related to living in America, I have lots of American friends that are supportive of us moving over there.. She wants to work with children and I want to be a speech therapist, We want to live in either North Carolina or Florida.. But I'm worried that we will be denied access to live in the United States..

What qualifications do we need to live in the USA, and is there something we should or shouldn't do if we want to live there?


Oh and

To Chris

Lets face it

Your probably an American version of a chav.. So instead of annoying a fifteen year old who is planning their future why don't you back off and get a life away from annoying teenagers for once ¬_¬

And thank you to everyone who has helped

13 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Pick a visa

    There are basically NINE ways that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

    (1) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.

    (2) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. scientific or medical training. A degree is normally a must. Or you have superior specialist skills with at least 12 years experience. (H visas)

    (3) You have an Employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (2) above.(L visas)

    (4) You may get a Green card in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland, are not generally eligible unless you, your spouse or parents were born abroad or held a different citizenship.

    (5)You own or buy business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no green card)You must be a national of a qualifying Treaty countries. The business must have a minimum value of around $150k (more the better) bearing in mind you will need somewhere to live and with any startup business you will need at least 2 years living money as back up. So a figure of $350k would be a nearer minimum (E-2 visas)

    (6)You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US $1m in assets to bring with you. half of that in a few areas. And your background will be investigated to the hilt. (EB-5 visas)

    (7)You have a close relative (mother, father, brother, sister and no further) who is an US citizen who would sponsor you, approx time this take 2-12 years?

    (8.The R1 visa is available to foreign members of religious denominations, having bona fide non-profit religious organizations in the U.S., for entering the U.S. to carry on the activities of a minister or religious worker as a profession, occupation or vocation

    (9)THE UNUSUAL You are in a position to claim refugee status/political asylum. or You get a member of Congress to sponsor a private bill with legislation that applies just to you.

    The S visa issued to persons who assist US law enforcement to investigate and prosecute crimes and terrorist activities such as money laundering and organized crime

    Recruitment agent will not take you seriously if you are not already in the US. Writing for jobs is really a waste of time; likewise US employers have no idea what foreign qualification are or mean (except Degrees) it may pay you to get your qualification translated into a US equivalent, there are Companies that do this ( ..

    But if you are getting a visa under (2) above then you need a job offer before you can get the visa. Your Employer will be your sponsor this will cost them upward of $5k. So you can see you have to be offering something really special to get considered They may also have to prove to the Dept of labor that there is no American who can do the job if the position is to be permanent ©

  • 4 years ago


    Source(s): Make Money Writing
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    actuallu it is extreemly difficult for anyone from the UK to move to the US.

    There is no Visa that YOU can apply for at all.

    An employer can apply for you if they can prove that they cant find anyone here with your skills, but it costs them a lot in fees and legal expenses normally around 10k dollars

    even then there is a limited amount of visas each year.

    it is almost impossible to move to the US unless you are married to an american.

  • 4 years ago

    A passport you then get immigration varieties and naturalize and also you need to recognise fundamental American historical past I consider I'm correct but when I'm now not have a laugh doing correct and welcome to America friend

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    if things are going well where you are i wouldn't advise you to move here. people/citizens are loosing jobs on an everyday basis and having the hardest time finding one. even doctors are loosing jobs due to hospitals closing (joining with others). teachers are loosing jobs by adding more students to each class (less classes). the cost of living compared to the average paying job is a struggle if enough.

  • 1 decade ago

    for you to get here you either need a family based visa or a work one [work ones are REALLY hard to get due to the economy] with the family based one is HAS to be a very close relative a distant auntie is not enough.

    As for her it will be much harder.

    Maybe start saving and come here for a long holiday after uni. and see what you REALLY think of the place.........

    Source(s): brit married to an american living in florida for the past 9 years
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    America is full of people like "Kris". England is a much better place!

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    STAY THERE! You can't go to a doctor here unless you make tons of money

  • 1 decade ago

    Stay home or move to mainland Europe!

    USA is too crowded! WE don't need Chavs in the USA!

    Go and play with your fleshlight,cumwipe!

    Source(s): {Un} Wiseone IS a chav - sod off, limey wanker!!!
  • 1 decade ago

    British citizens rarely have any problems moving to the US on work visas. If you have a good education and skills, you will be at the head of the line.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.