Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 1 decade ago

How does computer science carry over into the film industry?

Can someone explain to me how a degree in computer science can carry over into working at a film studio. What kind of things should one focus on during college if they are wanting to work in the film industry after graduating?

I am a 3rd year computer engineering major and working in the film industry has always been one of my dreams.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If you look at any recent blockbusters, you will notice that these movies are full of special effects. These effects are generated using computers. Computer graphics play and important role in movie making. When scenes, objects are generated using computers you have to perform many tasks such as rendering, shadow detailing, perspective management, motion of objects etc. There are many sub-areas of computer science/engineering that deal with all these aspects. Visualization, Animation, Computational geometry, graphics are just a few to name.

There are other aspects as well. How would one store and process all the data. What kind of special computers are required to process this data. What are efficient algorithms to do rendering, and drawing objects etc.

Look into the research work of graphics and visualization laboratories of major universities and you will know what should be your next step.

Source(s): PhD in computer science.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.