Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

Is the US the greatest terrorist today?

Very, Very short list of US military interventions:

http://academic.evergreen.edu/g/grossmaz/intervent...

The list was compiled by Doctorate Students at UC Berkeley, Harvard, and Evergreen as a side project. But, like i said, it's a very short list.

Some of my favorite examples of blatant US terrorism and hegemony from the list:

- 1963 Iraq: CIA organizes coup that kills president, brings Ba'ath Party to power, and Saddam Hussein back from exile to be head of the secret service.

- Iran 1953: CIA overthrows the democratic regime and installs the Brutal, Repressive Shah

- Chile 1973 CIA overthrows democratically elected government and installs the most Ruthless military dictator in South American history, Pinochet

- And of course, my absolute favorite, G.W. Bush invades Iraq to "save Iraqi's" (i.e. secure Economic, Geopolitical, and Strategic Interests). The war has minimally led to more than 100,000 Poor Iraqi's dying (according to the NEJM: http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/360/16/15... and maximally more than One Million, according to the most respected medical journal in Britain, The Lancet (just do a google search).

So, is the US the greatest terrorist country in the world today? Or is it Israel, with it's cruel, nefarious Occupation of Palestine? Which Colonizer is the worst today?

As a related question: Why do we expect people to be Peaceful with us when we Rape their homelands to extend our hegemony? Why should they be Peaceful with us when we're Never Peaceful with them, when we're such As s holes?

Update:

Magnus: Look at the list. I Just picked out 4 favorites from the list. Plus, Iraq was Invaded in 2003, Illegally, Immorally, and Unjustifiably.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes. The United States was even so scared in 1975 because the former Prime Minister of Australia threatened to close Pine Gap which is a Military Spy Base in Australia. (research the 1975 constitutional crisis of Australia) and they wanted then Prime Minister Gough Whitlam removed from office so the US couldn't make any evil plans to harm this Planet.

yes. the united states kills innocent civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan every single day and yes, they don't care. Haven't you heared about the US Solider who raped and killed an Iraqi teenager? If not, you can read it here :

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/americas/2009/05...

US soldier gets life for Iraq rape

A former US soldier convicted of raping a 14-year-old Iraqi girl and killing her and her family, has been jailed for life, after a jury failed to agree on a death sentence.

Steven Dale Green, 24, was convicted two weeks ago of the crimes near Baghdad, where he and his unit were serving in 2006.

The jury of nine women and three men could not decide after two days of deliberations if Green should be executed or given life without parole, so the life sentence prevailed.

Judge Thomas Russell of the Kentucky district court said on Thursday that he would formally sentence Green on September 4.

Prosecutors said Green was the ringleader of a group of five soldiers who plotted to invade the home of the family of four to rape the girl.

They said he later bragged about the crime, saying what he had done was "awesome".

'Trigger-happy'

Green, 19 at the time of the crime, was described as the trigger-man in the group who donned black "ninja" outfits and raped Abeer Qassim Hamza al-Janabi and shot her, her father, mother and six-year-old sister.

The soldiers later set fire to the girl's body to try to cover up the crime.

The rape-murders took place after the soldiers drank whiskey, played cards, and plotted the attack in Mahmudiya, 30km south of the Iraqi capital, the court heard.

Three of the four other soldiers pleaded guilty in the attack and the fourth was convicted, all in military courts martial.

They were sentenced to between five and 100 years, but could be paroled much sooner.

Green was tried in federal court as a civilian on murder, rape and obstruction of justice charges because his arrest came after he was discharged from the army for a "personality disorder".

The defence team acknowledged that he took part in the killings but argued that he should be spared the death penalty.

Defence

During the trial Green was depicted as a victim of a bad childhood and combat stress after the death of close colleagues in the combat zone south of Baghdad.

"Steven Green was responsible [for the rape and murders] but the United States of America failed Steven Green," Scott Wendelsdorf, a defence lawyer, told the jury in his final submission.

"And it failed a lot of soldiers in Iraq. And that wouldn't amount to a hill of beans if it were not the United States of America now seeking to put Steven Green to death."

As representatives of the Iraqi family openly wept in court, Green smiled slightly when the jury gave its decision.

His father, John Green, said the result was "the better of two bad choices, but the better one by far".

The ex-soldier's brother, Doug, added that "it's the only appropriate verdict" given the choices.

"I have mixed emotions about it, but I do think it will allow him to have some semblance of a life and I'm very grateful for that.

If there is any solider or anyone who is currently serving in the military then please give me just one reason why military service is honourable. I personally think that it's a disgrace. yes, Americans are terrorists.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Oh yes it showed the world what to expect from the almighty USA when the War Hawks in congress decided to make the Canadians American in 1812

and got their buts kicked all the way to main and new orleans even the French canadians realised they were better off being Canadian than American

Yes from 1812 the USA has shown it intended to be the Worlds Bully and is doing a Great No Magnificent Job

the USA caused WW2 by putting hitler in power this is in deed a fact and cannot be disputed

they caused the conflict In vietnam which was a civil war the same in Korea it was also a civil war which nearly escalated into WW3 with China because of the Arrogance of MacArthur

Because the US military used something called the domino effect which never happened it has dictated to countries in south america Iraq Afghanistan

and in My opinion WILL cause WW3 and Loose

Just look at Cuban Missile Crisis then the USA had the Audacity to want to put US missiles in Poland

Please America stop with the Sabre rattling and become Isolationists

• 1 decade ago

You're totally correct that the US doesn't have a terrific track record!

However, the 2 things that categorize a terrorist action are stealth and indiscrimination, i.e. a terrorist places a bomb in a discrete (albeit public) place and kills everyone in the vicinity, including civilian women and children even if his/her target may have been military. Your examples of the CIA actions may be relevant, but the Iraqi invasion is not. Although it may have been ill-advised, misguided and recklessly prosecuted, it does not compare with terrorist activity.

IF.. Bush and Cheney were to be prosecuted, it would not be for terrorism. It would be for violating the Geneva convention on the treatment of prisoners, for the reckless endangerment of US troops for no good reason, For violating the US Constitution, and for lying to the US congress, senate and people in regards to various domestic activities, as well as the real reason for the invasion of Iraq (whatever it was, Oil, etc, it wasn't WMD's)

America has it's faults. Terrorism isn't one of them.................yet.

Israel? Bad asses playing in a bad neighborhood. Not overtly terrorist, but not completely clean either. Same same Palestine.

It would be better if the whole mess could be sorted out behind the bike sheds after school like in the old days!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Your 35-55 year old examples make a very, very strong point.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • jim
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

you should go and live in such places you describe. you don't belong here

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.