? asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

Service animals for anxiety?

is that possible and how can i get one

i am 16 with severe anxiety its hard to leave the house i cant stay at other peoples houses i am afraid of people i have to home school because of it and it has gotten really bad lately and animals help my anxiety and i heard you could have them for anxiety how does that work and is their a limitation as to what kind of animals

Update:

thanks but i have pets i am interested in a service animal to go out with me and it be legal so i can have a regular life not be cooped up in a house all the time

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

To qualify for a service animal you must first be disabled. Most people with a diagnosed mental illness are not disabled by that illness because it isn't severe enough to prevent them from performing major life activities, such as "caring for one's self, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working." To determine whether or not you qualify as disabled, discuss this with your psychiatrist.

In order for a dog to qualify as a service dog, it must be individually trained to perform tasks that mitigate the person's disability. Being with you for emotional support or companionship would not qualify. A psychiatric service dog, like all other service dogs, is trained to perform specific tasks to mitigate the owner's disability. "Animals whose sole function is to provide emotional support, comfort, therapy, companionship, therapeutic benefits, or to promote emotional well-being are not service animals." -- U.S. Department of Justice (they regulate service animal issues under the ADA).

In addition to task training, service dogs also require obedience, distraction, and public access training. All of this training typically takes 18-24 months to complete. If you qualify as disabled, you may be able to apply for a service dog from a program: http://servicedogcentral.org/content/node/262

If you are already an expert dog trainer, with experience training dogs for competition or work, such as gun dogs, herding dogs, SAR dogs, etc., then you might have the skills needed to train your own. But you'd already have a fair idea of just how much work is involved and wouldn't be asking here. Novices attempting to train on their own without experience have less than a 1% chance of success without expert help from someone who is qualified to train an advanced working dog.

Are there limitations on what kind of animal? Do you mean species? Yes, there is a change going through, expected to become official literally any day, that would exclude many species. "The term service animal does not include wild animals (including nonhuman primates born in captivity), reptiles, rabbits, farm animals (including any breed of horse, miniature horse, pony, pig, or goat), ferrets, amphibians, and rodents." There have been some unconfirmed rumors that it could be restricted further so that only dogs could be used as service animals but we won't really know if it ends up going that far until the decision is published. http://servicedogcentral.org/content/node/297

Edited to add:

Debby Rose, the woman with the emotional support monkey, wound up going to court and she lost. Her monkey is not a service animal under the ADA. Here's the case: http://servicedogcentral.org/docs/Rose_v_Walmart_e...

For more information or any further questions, I recommend going right to the source. The U.S. Department of Justice has a toll-free ADA information line to help you understand the ADA, including how it applies to service animals. That number is: 800 - 514 - 0301

Source(s): I'm a service dog trainer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Service Animals For Anxiety

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Service animals for anxiety?

is that possible and how can i get one

i am 16 with severe anxiety its hard to leave the house i cant stay at other peoples houses i am afraid of people i have to home school because of it and it has gotten really bad lately and animals help my anxiety and i heard you could have them for...

Source(s): service animals anxiety: https://tr.im/lsMDH
  • 1 decade ago

i heard of a lady having a pet monkey as a service animal... and it was for anxiety. so i guess its not limited to just dogs.... but they wouldnt let her go into any grocery stores with the monkey in her town so she had to go a couple cities away just to shop.

anyway, i say, google it, and if you are approved, GO FOR IT! animals are very calming and therapudic. anxiety is a very real thing and it can be hard to overcome. maybe a service animal would be just what you need. i have severe anxiety too, but its not to the extent you are describing, but when im having a really bad, really stressed out day, my cats help tremendously.... the only thing that sucks is that i cant thake them with me wherever i go cause then we are both nervous lol... so go for a dog.

http://www.neads.org/services_new/service_dog.shtm... here is a site where you can learn about it and apply for a service dog. it does cost money to obtain a service animal though.... luckly you can do fundraisers or be sponsored (if you go to church, that is a good place to find a sponsor.... they will help anyone who needs it, especially young people)

Source(s): well good luck :)
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axrOW

Dogs work best because they are really friendly and take well to stangers. It works because they are a moving, breathing part of home. its like having a friend around all the time

• 1 decade ago

you dont have to get a "service" animal. just try getting a pet. i know taking care of mine calm me down. if you enjoy petting them- a dog is great, cats too (but many arent keen on sitting on your lap) and i love rabbits, so soft.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.