KatieW
KatieW asked in PetsBirds · 1 decade ago

How to Stop Bird from Dumping Water Bowl?

I have a Senegal parrot, he is almost a year old. I know that he is coming into his testy, adolescent stage where he is going to push all the boundaries just to learn what he can and can't get away with. So far I have been able to stand firm and keep everything consistent...but he has started a new behavior that I don't know how to stop.

He grabs the rim of his water bowl, and tips it over..as soon as I put it in the cage. This worries me because it results in him not getting any water to drink. Sometimes he will wait to tip the bowl over...but when I come home or wake up in the morning...it is always tipped or laying on the bottom of the cage. I am worried that he will dehydrate.

What I have already tried: I have tried reducing the amount of water in the bowl so that he doesn't get as much fun from spilling the whole bowl everywhere. I have given him a water bottle...did that for a week and he never drank from it...couldn't figure it out. Plus, he uses the water bowl to bathe in and to wet his pellet food. I have placed him in time out for a couple minutes each time that he tips the bowl...that we he doesn't get any attention from me for the behavior. I have tried walking away when he does it and ignoring him. All of these things I have tried for at least a week...not one day I do this, one day I do something else. I have given him time to learn and adapt to each new reaction...and none of them have worked yet. I have no idea what else I should try.

He has plenty of toys...which I rotate out about every two weeks, unless he destroys one before then. I make a lot of his toys so he has a huge variety and rarely sees the same thing twice. I also go to Bird Shows often to buy new supplies, as well as the toys that other people make. I've never seen a cage with a bar over the water bowl.

Favorite Answer

I would try getting wire and tying the bowl to the cage bars, it might be a nuisance every time you go to change the water, and you might need to use pliers, but if it gets him to give up I think it would be well worth it.

Or, maybe you will need to get a different design of bowl that you can clip on? Or a metal one (if it isn't already) so that its a bit heavier or harder to lift out?

Sorry, I can't think of anything else, it seems like you've tried almost everything, but good luck :)

Well, perhaps if it's his favorite spot to sleep, you should empty the bowl, and put another one (the type with wire hangers that hangs over the bars) right next to it as his new water dish. Then let him sleep on his old, empty water dish and he can poop in it as much as he wants (do clean it every few days, when you change the paper). A bird isn't going to purposely eat it's own poop, so if there's nothing in that dish but poop, it'll be fine. This does strike me as odd though, as parrots (of any size) will typically seek out the highest spot in the cage to sleep (in nature, the higher up they are, the fewer things can get up there to eat them in the night). If this is a recent change in the last week or so, I would get him to the vet to make sure he isn't sick. Parrots are good at hiding illnesses, and one of the first signs is moving to a lower branch to sleep. If this has been going on since you got him, check to see if the higher branches in his cage are small/safe enough for him to perch comfortably on them all night. If his feet can't wrap around at least 3/4 of the branches in several spots, then it is probably too thick. Replace it with a thinner natural branch his little feet can grip. It may hurt his feet to grip the branch for extended periods of time (like while sleeping) so he's seeking out something thinner to grip (especially if his water dish is the type for small parrots that has a little perch built into it). I know on my amazon's upper perches, there is one area he will play on, but I never find him sleeping on. It's quite a bit thicker than the rest of the perch, so I don't think he finds it comfortable to grip on for such a long period of time. Good luck.

I have learned that punishing an animal, especially stubborn birds, is not the most sufficient way of teaching them right from wrong- they don't really pay attention in fact. Instead, they like encouragement like humans. Other than that, I can not possibly tell you how to find a solution, but that was a piece of advice from me. I worry that he will not get enough water also. Have you seen a health professional yet? Maybe they could help. I was also thinking, maybe you could put him in a bath and see what is his reaction. But please make sure to supervise him so he won't drown. I hope I helped at least a little.

Source(s): My prior knowledge and reading "Wesley the Owl"

My galah did this exact same thing.

I ended up putting a brick in there so he couldn't lift it up.

Just make sure that the brick is big enough so he/she cant lift up the bowl, but small enough so he/she can have a drink.

I'm guessing this will also work if you just put something else in there thats to heavy for the bird.

Most cages have the bowls that can't be tipped because there is a bar over the top of the bowl so they can't spill it. I'd try and train the bird to a water bottle. Get a glass one thats made for birds because others can have zinc in the metal spout. It didn't take long for my sun to learn, I just attached it where I wanted it and his curious nature helped him discover there is water in there. He prefers the bottle to the bowl for drinking, he reserves his bowl for bathing! If you fid keeps spilling the bowl, try a water bottle. Does he have enough toys? He could be bored too. Typically you will want to rotate his toys so he doesn't get bored with the same toys that are in the cage for years.

i used to have a parakeet it used to dump the water bowl, there was no way to stop it from dumping it. if the bird is thirsty then it will not dump the water keep the water bowl on time in the cage

what about those heavy glass dog/cat bowl kind of ones? where its shaped like a triangle, the widest part on the bottom?